What negative offset is needed for my 1994 FZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered new tires for my 1994 FZJ80. I am going to put 315/70R17 BFG KM3's. I guess it is considered a 35" tire but technically it's a 34.36" tire. I'm good with that. A little fact, I saw a Ford Raptor with that same size tire but with BFG KO2's.
The manager at Discount Tire was talking with me about the Negative Offset needed for my vehicle. At first it appeared I needed a -6 offset but then he called Pro Comp Wheels and they said I needed a 17.9 (not sure if that means a rim size?) with a -12 offset.
Confusing???
Any recommendations for my rig with my tire size?

There is perhaps 1 million threads on this very subject.

17x9 with a -12 offset will work fine.

I run -22 and love it

Can you educate me why you would go with 17" wheels when you can get 315/75R16 tires?

These are 315/70r17 tires on 17x9 with -12mm offset rims and I think they fit the flares just right. Duratracs, but otherwise the same and should still work well as reference pictures.

full

full

full

These are 315/70r17 tires on 17x9 with -12mm offset rims and I think they fit the flares just right. Duratracs, but otherwise the same and should still work well as reference pictures.

full

full

full
Shines like justice! Damn!

Except that you already have 16" wheels and therefore don't need to find anything? :hmm:

Tire choices seem to be better on 17s, atleast when you get to bigger tires.

I'm on 17x9 3.5 inch backspacing and -38mm offset.

Tire size choices don't seem to be the real issue since there is not much that much difference between 315/75R16 and 315/70R17. Have you thought about just having the wheels you have powder coated? If you are wanting a certain look / wheel, I can understand. But you can save some money keeping your existing wheels.

Tire size choices don't seem to be the real issue since there is not much that much difference between 315/75R16 and 315/70R17. Have you thought about just having the wheels you have powder coated? If you are wanting a certain look / wheel, I can understand. But you can save some money keeping your existing wheels.

I have thought about powder But inexpensive aluminum rims only cost about $130 Powder coating would probably cost just under that per rim I bet. Tomorrow I’ll make some calls to find out exactly how much that would cost. It was like the look of the original rims. And I have six of them actually

I think you are way off from the cost of powder coating rims. Again, if you are OK with the style of the stock rims, it's worth a few phone calls. I'm guessing more in the $50/rim range.

Plus, I think the 16" tires are cheaper, exact same width, and a little taller. Compare the tire prices between the sizes. I'm guessing the difference will pay for a good chunk of the powder coating.

Again, I have no horse in this race. Just trying to save you some money.

I think you are way off from the cost of powder coating rims. Again, if you are OK with the style of the stock rims, it's worth a few phone calls. I'm guessing more in the $50/rim range.

Plus, I think the 16" tires are cheaper, exact same width, and a little taller. Compare the tire prices between the sizes. I'm guessing the difference will pay for a good chunk of the powder coating.

Again, I have no horse in this race. Just trying to save you some money.

Sounds good. I’ll check. Only hassle is Getting the rims off the current tires and vehicle and taking them over. Don’t you think the only option I have is to jack up the entire vehicle and take the tires off, take them to the tire store dismount the tire from the rim then take it over and get them powder coated. If that’s the case it’s a lot of work. Maybe not worth it but like you said it’s worth if you could phone calls to see how much I can save

Sounds good. I’ll check. Only hassle is Getting the rims off the current tires and vehicle and taking them over. Don’t you think the only option I have is to jack up the entire vehicle and take the tires off, take them to the tire store dismount the tire from the rim then take it over and get them powder coated. If that’s the case it’s a lot of work. Maybe not worth it but like you said it’s worth if you could phone calls to see how much I can save
Or do one at a time and drive without a spare and mismatched wheels for a little bit.

I'm actually about to take some rims for my '95 in to be powder coated. I'm hopefully going to get them into the coater next week. But with Thanksgiving, I expect them to not been done for a little while. And that's only if I get them in next week. I'll keep posting here just for future information for everyone.

Just got my wheels back from the powder coater. I'm very pleased with the results. They charged $50 / wheel. I was going to do the lug nuts but they said that an impact would most likely crack the powder coating. They suggested that I just rattle can those. They did however sandblast them for no additional cost. Will post a picture once tires are mounted and on the rig. But here are some before and after shots.

upload_2018-12-20_18-9-59.png

Guess the after shot didn't make it. Here they are after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom