What muffler and resonator for turbo 1fzfe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
cannabisforcolorado.com
Looking to replace the entire exhaust system on my turbo 1fzfe.
Running 3-inch pipe. Really do not want any drone. If it makes some noise when I step on its that is ok but I want to keep it under control. Too old for that loud s***.
The factory step up is nice and quiet but I know I'm missing out on performance.
Thanks

I don’t know if you are am Motor Trend “Roadkill” fan but check out “Engine Masters” they do a bunch of dyno tests on stuff like this... not so much the quietness... but power loss and gain with NA an forced induction. It doesn’t have all the nonsense drama that other automotive related shows have. Just meat and potatoes.

I don’t know if you are am Motor Trend “Roadkill” fan but check out “Engine Masters” they do a bunch of dyno tests on stuff like this... not so much the quietness... but power loss and gain with NA an forced induction. It doesn’t have all the nonsense drama that other automotive related shows have. Just meat and potatoes.

Hahaha I just watched the 2.5 inch vs 3 inch exhaust.

You said you were getting a standalone ecu, right? Otherwise, I would stick with 2.5"

My 90's tuner side says get the largest straight through perforated core (Magnaflow and the like) that you can fit under there. The size or length of the muffler shouldn't hamper performance much at all, just more quieter :hillbilly:. Also the biggest resonator (also straight through perforated core) you can fit without putting it in harm's way.

Last edited:
You said you were getting a standalone ecu, right? Otherwise, I would stick with 2.5"

My 90's tuner side says get the largest straight through perforated core (Magnaflow and the like) that you can fit under there. The size or length of the muffler shouldn't hamper performance much at all, just more quieter :hillbilly:. Also the biggest resonator (also straight through perforated core) you can fit without putting it in harm's way.

2.5 vs 3? thought the bigger the better.
Yes the haltech will go in at some point.

Last edited:
I'm semi tempted to do a side dump. I know it can be a pinch point but I'm not playing in the rocks all the time.

If you run 3" just using the stock ECU/fuel setup, the turbo will spool too quickly and cause a dangerous lean condition. The stock exhaust is actually just about right to make the s300sx spool up a little slower--just at the same time the ECU goes into closed loop and starts dumping fuel. So if you're using the stock ECU for a while, 2.5 is best.

You're right, when it comes to a turbo setup, the bigger the exhaust, the better. But that assumes you have the ability to tune it. If you're putting the Haltech in right away (like at the same point you do the exhaust), then go big and get the 3" exhaust. If you put the 3" exhaust in without the haltech, you'll be putting your motor in danger (or just drive like a sissy until you get the Haltech)

If you run 3" just using the stock ECU/fuel setup, the turbo will spool too quickly and cause a dangerous lean condition. The stock exhaust is actually just about right to make the s300sx spool up a little slower--just at the same time the ECU goes into closed loop and starts dumping fuel. So if you're using the stock ECU for a while, 2.5 is best.

You're right, when it comes to a turbo setup, the bigger the exhaust, the better. But that assumes you have the ability to tune it. If you're putting the Haltech in right away (like at the same point you do the exhaust), then go big and get the 3" exhaust. If you put the 3" exhaust in without the haltech, you'll be putting your motor in danger (or just drive like a sissy until you get the Haltech)

I have the supra fuel pump installed. I can put 450 injectors in along with a larger MAF. Should fix the lean issue on stock ECU.
going to run the 3 inch. Do it right the first time.

You may want to talk to @scottryana about that. More injector and fuel pump doesn't really help if it's still being controlled by a very stubborn computer hellbent on maintaining stoich. All my research indicates the us-spec 1fz is very resistant to the common tuner tricks in open loop. But Ryan can tell you better than I could.

and someone here just released an injector kit for the super charger. Does the same thing.

Incorrect the injector kit is to get the SC to work on OBDI trucks. Adding 450 injectors and larger MAF won't fix the stoich issue.

and someone here just released an injector kit for the super charger. Does the same thing.

Incorrect the injector kit is to get the SC to work on OBDI trucks. Adding 450 injectors and larger MAF won't fix the stoch issue.

Not talking OBD1. The concern is I will lean out too much by running a 3-inch pipe without some way of comping for it.

I know you are not. That is what the 7th injector kit was made for. OBDII will not let your truck operate any differently in closed loop with different injectors and MAF. You can do it but it is not the right way to do it. The link you posted the guy never got the truck to run right and got rid of it. Do the 3" but install the Haltech as long as you understand the short comings of the stand alone.

Not talking OBD1. The concern is I will lean out too much by running a 3-inch pipe without some way of comping for it.

Last edited:
Do you have emissions in your county? If so you will need two inline cats, will fail visual with only one.

Do you have emissions in your county? If so you will need two inline cats, will fail visual with only one.

I have the truck registered outside the city so I'm good!

Closing the loop on this thread, what's the final outcome? I was searching for a muffler for my turbo and came across this thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom