What motor oil type and weight do you use? (1 Viewer)

What motor oil weight do you use in your 200 series land cruiser?

• 0w-20

Votes: 140 62.8%
  • 0-w30

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • 5w-20

Votes: 17 7.6%
  • 5w-30

Votes: 50 22.4%
  • 0w-40

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • Thicker...

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Toyota recommends 0w-20. In other countries thicker oil has been recommended for older land cruisers. In the US we had a 5w-30 recommendation for the 1fz-fe when other parts of the world had thicker recommendations. Historically the land cruiser has been easy on oil with prior engines. I'm suspicious that Toyota has made this thin recommendation from government pressures on fuel economy as many of their new engines use 0w-20. I'm considering a heavier weight oil and wanted some mud input. I've used Mobil 0w-20 advanced fuel economy so far.

Mobil1 Full Synthetic 0W-20

IMG_20170306_200129.jpg

TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) 0W-20 is one of the best motor oils available anywhere:

TGMOLabel_13DEC13_zpsa1008640.jpg

If you want to splurge, try some of the ENEOS Sustina 0W-20:

OilStash0W20_13DEC13_zps81a6ac83.jpg

HTH

It seems there has been a bit of a evolution in motor oil lately. The old school conventional wisdom has been to run as heavy a motor oil as will work for the given environment conditions. The new reasoning seems to be that heavy oil doesn't do anything to reduce wear and if anything causes additional wear during startup. So going with a thinner oil not only gives real world MPG gains but actually helps long term wear due to startup which is where most wear actually occurs. We're seeing the trend toward thinner oils not only in passenger vehicles but also in heavy diesel motors as well.

Now thinner oils definitely improve MPG, thats known. I've seen some evidence that thinner oils are also as effective protection as heavy oils but I'd be interested to see wear data from a large fleet that has made the switch to thinner oil to see how that holds up real world.

IMG_0253.PNG
IMG_0164.PNG
I totally agree with the thin oil on start up causing less wear idea. It's known that most engine where occurs during cold start ups. However when the same engine is recommended to have a thicker oil at operating temperature, elsewhere in the world I have to question whether we have domestic recommendations that place fuel economy over engine protection. For example a 0W-20 and a 0W-40 would have very similar cold starting viscosities. However at operating temperature is 0W 40 would be thicker than the 0W-20. 0w-40 oil will also have other protective characteristics like higher HTHS values and lower NOWAK values. Has anyone sent any used oil analysis on the 200 series here? Check out the two attached photos of oil grade characteristics.

The viscosity and temperature specs that concern me are from charts like this. My 80 is speced for 5w-30 and I run 0w-40. It runs beautifully after 22 years. It looks like Toyota has been trending toward thinner viscosities. I still have my suspicions and I might try a 0w-30 in the future, but I'm not brave enough right now to try anything but a 0w-20. Those running other viscosities, what are your thoughts and rationale?

IMG_0257.PNG

IMG_0258.PNG

I've always used Mobil 1 on my 80 and 100, but I saw where even Walmart sells the Toyota synthetic at about the same price as M1. Doubt I can go wrong with either, but it is tempting to stay with factory product, since that's all that's been in the truck so far.

For that matter, how many are using the TRD filter?
TRD High Performance Oil Filter CARTRIDGE

PTR43-00081

TRD High Performance Oil Filter - same fitment as Toyota 04152-YZZA4

Last edited:
The viscosity and temperature specs that concern me are from charts like this. My 80 is speced for 5w-30 and I run 0w-40. It runs beautifully after 22 years. It looks like Toyota has been trending toward thinner viscosities. I still have my suspicions and I might try a 0w-30 in the future, but I'm not brave enough right now to try anything but a 0w-20. Those running other viscosities, what are your thoughts and rationale?

View attachment 1416656

View attachment 1416657

Here is what the LX 570 owner's manual says:

oilrec.png

Toyota strongly suggests you run 0W-20 :)

Last edited:
I've always used Mobil 1 on my 80 and 100, but I saw where even Walmart sells the Toyota synthetic at about the same price as M1. Doubt I can go wrong with either, but it is tempting to stay with factory product, since that's all that's been in the truck so far.

For that matter, how many are using the TRD filter?
TRD High Performance Oil Filter CARTRIDGE

PTR43-00081

TRD High Performance Oil Filter - same fitment as Toyota 04152-YZZA4

1- I've never seen TGMO (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil) 0W-20 at Wal-Mart and cannot find it on their web site. Are you sure you saw it there?

2- Yes, I've used the TRD oil filter since my truck was new - when compared side by side there really is no comparison in bulid quality between the TRD and the OEM filters:

LC200OilFilterComparo7_19MA_zps88447c56.jpg

LC200OilFilterComparo1_19MA_zps4c7c6fb8.jpg

LC200OilFilterComparo2_19MA_zps91db2cfd.jpg

LC200OilFilterComparo5_19MA_zps69950fc4.jpg

These are the specs on the side of a spin-on size, but the filtration spec is the same for the cartridge filter we use:

TRDSpinOn3_27SEP13_zps1d83f1ed.jpg

HTH

Curious, where are you seeing these specifications for heavier oil with the 5.7?

Do these countries see freezing temperatures?

When I was researching Toyota oil recommendations for the 5.7L V-8 gasoline engine in other countries, I ran across this page from an ROW (Rest Of the World) manual for the LC200:

ROWOilRecommendations2_05MAY15_edited-1_zpsc23a2384.jpg

Despite the other weight oils mentioned in that chart, I'm still a strong supporter of using TGMO 0W-20 here in the U.S. Other oils may be recommended for a varity of reasons, including availability. It makes no sense to say that you must use 0W-20 in your country if it is not readily available.

FYI

Just my two cents, but I finally decided to switch from Mobil 1 0w-20 to Mobil 1 0w-30. Reasoning: When changing the oil (Mobil 1 5w-30) in my 2006 100 series with the 4.7 at 5000 miles, the oil looks really good. However, when changing the oil (Mobil 1 0W-20) in my 2013 200 series with the 5.7 at 5000 miles it looks really BAD. I have like many of you read 100's of Forums about OIL for the 3UR-FE and MY conclusion is 0W-30 oil is okay to use. The owners manual specifically states that a higher weight oil may be better suited for severe conditions. I am not replying on this thread to justify my decision or entice others to do the same. However, for those of you interested I will report back after my next oil change. It just may be that the 2UZ-FE may just be easier on the oil?

Mobile 1 in the Tacoma and 200. Delo 400 in the 60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom