What motor is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to buy my first LC. I'm in Central America and Spanish isn't my primary language. It's a 99 VX. The motor & turbo have been rebuilt, drives nice, 4X4 works in all gears. The body & paint are in great condition for this part of the world. I'm just wanting to confirm that this is the HD-FTE. Asking price is $14,500. I've been looking for over six months and most are just trash. TIA
20220911_085514.jpg
20220911_085546.jpg
20220911_085457.jpg

That's not a 1HD-FTE, the FTE has a different valve cover and injection pump.

It's either 1HD-T or 1HD-FT, I'm not sure how to tell the difference between those two though.

Edit: I think a 1HD-T, looks like the valve covers of the 1HD-FT say "24 Valve" on them. Not 100% sure though.

Shouldn’t it be listed on the firewall, and/or on the driver’s door frame?

Is it supposed to be the original engine?

Engine type will be on the data plate.

You could also grab the VIN off the data plate and stick it in here: MegaZip - Genuine OEM Parts From Japan, USA, UAE | Online Store - https://www.megazip.net/

Looks like a 1HD-T to me. Definitely not an FTE (no electronics, pump is different, cable throttle, etc). Might be a 24-valve FT though I thought they all had a smooth tappet cover with '24 valve' cast into the top. But Sth American versions may be different.

Looking to buy my first LC. I'm in Central America and Spanish isn't my primary language. It's a 99 VX. The motor & turbo have been rebuilt, drives nice, 4X4 works in all gears. The body & paint are in great condition for this part of the world. I'm just wanting to confirm that this is the HD-FTE. Asking price is $14,500. I've been looking for over six months and most are just trash. TIA
View attachment 3111708View attachment 3111709View attachment 3111711

The 1HD-FTE engine looks like the pic below in a LHD 100 series Land Cruiser -- in this case with brake system on the driver side and with AHC Tank etc on passenger side (unlikely to exist on 1999 LC100). Some of the obvious distinctive features include the "1HD-FTE" label, the black resin valve cover, the different shape of the timing belt cover compared to the earlier "1HD" engines, and the heater at the end of the air intake pipe coming from the air cleaner (the 1HD-FTE does not have glow-plugs as found on earlier diesels).

1HD-FTE engine layout LHD.jpeg

I agree with @beatle_bayly. Sad to advise that the engine in the pictures at your Post #1 in this thread definitely is not 1HD-FTE.

It looks like 1HD-T.

If it was 1HD-FT then a marking or moulding on the valve cover stating “24 valves” would be expected.

You may be able to see enough of the valve arrangement by removing the black "oil fill" cap from the cover on top of the engine – looking to see whether there seem to be 4 valves per cylinder.

Suggest that the Seller needs to be asked more questions about exactly what was done when "the motor & turbo have been rebuilt" and whether this is the original engine installed in the vehicle at the factory.

You may be able to locate the engine number located as shown in the sketch below. This will show a number in the form of 1HD0304951. However, this may only tell you that the engine is one of the “1HD” series of engines without telling you the specific engine model. A Toyota Office or Dealer may be able to tell you which specific engine model corresponds to the actual engine number.

Engine Number Location.jpg

If you can find the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) -- usually on a plate on the firewall at the back of the engine bay, or, on the door pillar between the Front Door and the Rear door -- then a Toyota Office in your country or a Dealer may be able to tell you which engine was fitted to that vehicle -- and whether this is the original engine.

Alternatively, if the VIN can be found, then use the VIN at https://partsouq.com/ in addition or as an alternative to Megazip. Either website should at least reveal the expected engine type for that VIN.

Late edit: See attached description of 1HD-FTE turbodiesel compared with previous 1HD-FT turbodiesel:

Attachments

• 1HD-FTE Engine Improvements.PDF
    999.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom