What makes the 2F a so-so engine? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
There was a thread in chat a while ago titled "the best engine ever" and there were may ideas as to what the "best" was. However many people stated that the 2F was NOT anywhere near the best. So what is it that makes it not the "best"? Is is that the design is antiquated? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack

Its a rip off of the chevy straight 6, i was working on my future father in laws '72 pickup with a 6 in it and architecturally the blocks look nearly identical. They dont have that many mains, the cams are puny, they last forever because they are tractor motors. Nothing wrong with them, but not a pinnacle of engineering.

Its a rip off of the chevy straight 6, i was working on my future father in laws '72 pickup with a 6 in it and architecturally the blocks look nearly identical. They dont have that many mains, the cams are puny, they last forever because they are tractor motors. Nothing wrong with them, but not a pinnacle of engineering.

I knew the Chevrolet connection, however it is true that the 2F is better than the F correct?

Thanks,
Zack

Chevy allowed Hino to copy thier 292 or thier 230 engine. It was part of helping Japan economically rebuild after the war.

It is an old school 6-cylinder design. Nothing wrong with it. Very relaible with little maintenance. Some of the posts were more of perfomance related engines.

the 2f is a great motor for a niche market...stock size, slow going roads. it's not good at propelling the heavy land cruiser at high speeds over mountain passes, or pulling 40" tires, so that puts some good strikes against it.

For their intended purpose and era, they are a great engine. Simple, robust, torquey, long-lived. Their 'era' was one of cheap fuel and low speed limits - think '50 mph across the outback'.

For racing across American highways at 75 mph, towing a boat, in an era of $3.00/gal gas, they aren't as well-suited.

I bought a used '83 2F from an FJ60 with 173K miles and stuck it in my '65 FJ45. Runs flawlessly, has excellent compression and oil pressure, and burns no oil. There aren't many domestic/US engines I'd just plop in there with that kind of mileage on them and trust them to hold up.

Whether an engine is 'good or bad' has much do to with your expectations. May FZJ-80 owners are happy if the only real problem with the 1FZ-FE engine is that it blows a head gasket at 170K miles. If the rest of the engine is sound, they can live with this. Others would find this head gasket issue a 'fatal flaw' with that engine. Some old 2Fs aren't as tight as mine, either.

I think 2Fs are part of the whole Land Cruiser experience - if you want a 350-equipped racer, go for it, but the sound of a 2F chugging through a snow packed road or roaring through the gears brings joy to my heart. Knowing it's not likely to spray my driveway with internal engine parts brings joy, too.

Steve

I am quite fond of my 2Fs. How many motors can tolerate what is basically abuse for 300k and still run? How many motors can lug down to 400 rpm and still pull a heavily loaded truck nearly straight up hill?

It is true that they don't make huge power, but they are simple and reliable, and they run and run and run.

I think they do exactly what they were intended to do, it's just here in the USA we want them to go 70 mph down the freeway, and climb I-80 over the Sierras. They are not good at that. I think they were designed to chug over poor roads at 40 mph and get the job done, which is where they excel.

In my opinion, the 2F is one of the best engines. It's not technologically advanced, but that's its forté. BUt comparing the 2F to all engines ever made is difficult. Way too many engines out there and all built for different purposes. If we're talking the best Toyota Land Cruiser engine ever made, I would put my bet on the 2F/3F petrol and the 12HT diesel. Mostly for their simplicity and ability to run long after the "better" engines have given up.

Well I share the same ideas as everyone else here that the 2F is a great engine. I also love the sound of the 2F chugging along after 251,000 miles on the clock!

Zack

I like the 2F because I can understand it. Thus, I can feel comfortable that it will be reliable if I take care of it. Saying that, the 2F obviously is not cutting edge. Why did all the in-line 6 cylinder engines go away? I suspect that it was because of engineering advantages of a V-6 or V-8. The 2F has a poorly engineered manifold system. How many threads have we had on manifold leaks? The 2F is carbureted, which I like because I can understand it, but obviously fuel injection is better. How many of you guys have a little drip (or bigger) of oil underneath the engine because the oil pan gasket ain't right? The mileage sucks, but hell, the poor 135 HP engine is trying to move a 2 1/2 ton box!

I absolutely love my 2f, there's nothing like the sound of it chugging up the driveway first thing in the morning. Unfortunately, the mechanic says it needs a rebuild after 251,000 miles, but it still takes me anywhere I want, it's a Hos

2F's.... well here in my country (Venezuela) they are pretty famous because of the hard work they did in the past years beggining with the fj40, and al of my life I've heared that 2F is the best engine ever but everybody have a point of view... I've seen fj40's and 60's work on the tuffest conditions on a lot of farms working fully loaded with only 3 cylinders and going on and on many miles and then come back with the work done!!!

I love my 2F and I think is the best engine ever!! but sometimes when I see the funrace 4x4(www.funrace4x4.com) or see a 80 passing me in the highway from 160kph and keeping going I get amazed with the performance of the 1FZ or 1FZ-FE and sometimes it make's me feel like that's the engine I need, but on the other side I just can't change my reliable and fun 2F!!
the 2F is slow but surely it will get you back to home, then when you're at home is when he told you hey! I have a bronken part!! but I brought you here safe now give me some maintenance!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom