what lurks beneath (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.barryhause.com
So I'm taking a friend fishing on the Pearl. We drove down to the sand bar in my 60 with canoe on top. Get out on the water and drop Dr. Martin off on the rocks to fly fish for stripers. Some guys over on the other side motion for me to come over as if needing some assistance.

What the heck, I paddle over. Turns out one of them had a fish on line which he couldn't manage to land. Requests a boat ride out to the fish. Having never sat in a canoe before, he nearly tips us over trying to get in. After a quick lesson about center of gravity we real his line in out to the middle of the river.

For the next 15-20 minutes we were pulled around by SOMETHING very large. Finally gets tired enough to surface revealing a catfish about the size of my canoe. (well.....)

Unable to pull said creature into said boat, we make our way over to the bank, hop out, wade in. I take the pole and keep the (now exhausted) lunker on line while my new friend wades out with a stringer and wrestles the fish to shore.

View the results: Weighed in at 49 lbs.

Last edited:
DAMN!!

HOLY CRAP!! I have always heard of massive catfish but have never seen one really - catfish aren't too prevalent in the Gulf.

:zilla: & this fish are about the same age:eek:

Cool story.

I guess that fish had been feeding on whatever came out of that broken pipe.:)
webview.jpg

Barry, you live an interesting life.:beer:

way cool...

The last time we canoed down there, we went by that pipe. Something HUGE swirled around there, and I really thought it was a gator- my dog went nuts. Now I know, it was even BIGGER!

Great pix and story.

The story is out on Barry.
Before long he will be offered speaking/concert engagements. Where he will expound on his legendary helping hand at catching fish, hanging out at his new friends house off West Capital Street and rescuing people with broke/stuck trucks from the Mighty Pearl and then he will break out playing some old REO Speedwagon tunes on that fancy guitar.:grinpimp:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070422/SPORTS08/704220358/1127/SPORTS

Your PR team has been working overtime.

Barry you just may have eclipsed Greg as the coolest person I know!

You know its the stories of sadness that make the front pages but glad to see something positive coming from MS-CONGRATS BARRY!

WOW WOW WOW

What a story! Great pics.

How did your new friend manage to hold onto his rod/pole when he attempted to board the canoe the first time?
I would have paid to see that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom