what locker??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
what locker did toyota manufacture that will fit in my stock toyota rear axle? ive got a 90 4runner sr5 4x4. or should i just go with aussie or lockrite?

the supra limited slip fits in the rear, while the altezza limited slip fits in the front :)

both are torsen type 2s

Okay THEMAN that is like spanish to me haha got any links?

I'd just go ARB, E-lockers can be a more costly install, with limited support.

I wonder if anybody's played with that new ZIP locker yet?

Okay THEMAN that is like spanish to me haha got any links?
Supra LSD (rear, old clutch style one... not torsen):
gear install
Altezza LSD (front):
DSC_1744.jpg

Torsen info: T-2

they are factory parts, which means they are expensive new.... used is the way to go... the Altezza LSD is only available in Japan and Europe and can only come from the 1st gen Altezza/IS200 with the 3S-GE engine, the ones with the 2JZ-GE (IS300) won't fit... I'm not sure what the IS300 has, but it might have a 8" ring gear, and if so you can use that LSD in your rear 3rd member.... the IS300 LSDs are even more rare as they only came with the manual IS300s, and as we all know only sold in handfuls. I'm pretty sure the mark 4 supras uses a real torsen LSD that fits

Although they are not "lockers" in the purest sense, they help provide torque biased power to both wheel... most applications for Torsens are on street driven sports cars, but it is also found in the HMMWV due to its reliability, low maintenance costs and near 100% automatic operation. I think due to its military use, it has been proven reliable and works good. The new runners uses a Torsen Type 3 for the transfer case also

Last edited:
I'd just go ARB, E-lockers can be a more costly install, with limited support.

The e-locker is probably not a good choice for the OP. Housing mods required, wiring, etc... Sounds like he wants to "drop" something in and be done. I'm thinking lunch box locker or something like it...

As for more costly and limited support; please explain

The e-locker is probably not a good choice for the OP. Housing mods required, wiring, etc... Sounds like he wants to "drop" something in and be done. I'm thinking lunch box locker or something like it...

As for more costly and limited support; please explain

I just assumed E-locker out of his statement.
In either case, I'd still go ARB before any fixed locker, but a good LSD, like the TrueTrac, will help the light offroader.

For the budget conscious, you can "make" a toyota locker if you know a friend who's a good welder and works for beer.:cheers:

As for the costly and limited support, parts for e-lockers are hard to find, and a solid one will cost more than any aftermarket. The only support for these is whatever's found in OEM factory literature (which is thorough, I'm not dissing Toyota) but it's still more difficult to get support for them when compared to the strong support network ARB offers, and the relatively high availability of parts. It seems desirable to me to have a more widely available ARB unit while wheeling/bushcrashing because when something breaks, odds are good your wingman or somebody else hanging out with you has spares, or you do yourself.
:beer:

Last edited:
............ or should i just go with aussie or lockrite?

....................... I'm thinking lunch box locker or something like it........

I agree. Can't beat the simplicity and from what I've read in the 80 series forum, the Aussie is pretty reliable, when installed & setup correctly.

the supra limited slip fits in the rear, while the altezza limited slip fits in the front :)

both are torsen type 2s

While the limited slip is slightly better than an open diff, it still can't hold a candle to a locker when you really need traction off road. And the OP was interested in "lockers".

Of course it won't :) They're really meant for different applications... it was a suggestion nonetheless to let him know what possibilities are there... LSDs do lockup also, so it depends on the subjective definition of "locker" per person ;)

The only factory lockers I know of requires the electric or vacuum gizmos, which can be involving to get installed... the only "easy" and automatic stuff are either aftermarket (aussie, ARB, TrueTrac, etc) or just factory LSDs

Last edited:

While the limited slip is slightly better than an open diff, it still can't hold a candle to a locker when you really need traction off road. And the OP was interested in "lockers".

If you want to split hairs, the original poster also said "what locker did toyota manufacture that will fit in my stock toyota rear axle" So the precise answer to that question is "none" (or maybe a cable locker from a 70 or 90 Series Cruiser, but I'm not too sure on those). The 8 inch Electric Locker will fit with modifications, but with some modifications you can fit Volvo portal axles under that truck.... :cheers:

I don't know what the big deal is, anyway. The guy said "locker", the title of the thread is: "what locker???" He even suggested the lunchbox lockers. He lives in AZ, so icy roads are rare, if non-existent for his travels. It sounds like to me he's interested in what will work best with the least impact to his rig and finances. You can't beat the Aussie for the most bang for your buck in that respect. You can make this as complicated as you want, but for the little amount of effective use where he will notice the improvement, the lunchbox locker shines, IMHO. Dedicated trail rigs are a different story, though.

thank you 80toylc thats exactly what i was looking for!

Your welcome. I'll be putting at least 1 Aussie in my '81 Mini when I get the time and $ to do it. My 80 Series is a different story, though. It's full time 4WD and I use it for winter travel on the 2 lane roads here in Oregon. The auto lockers have a tendency to lock briefly in a turn if your not exactly steady with your throttle foot. On an icy road at 65 mph that can be hazardous to maintaining control. That's the beauty to E-lockers or the ARB Air lockers - they're either open or locked - it's your choice. But we're talking more $ and work, - it's just a matter of what you want or need.

yeah that would be bad if it lockedup around an icy turn. i live in hot arizona so i dont have to worry about stuff like that. im set on an aussie locker in the rear, ecspecially after wheelin today and my tires not all spinning at once(pissed me off so bad) time to start saving

I have had both aussie & lockrite

I personally likes lockrite better...
Both work & cost basically the same
Just thot the lockrite was alittle better built

Broke an aussie, but it was 5 years old, and was in a very built rig & I shock loaded it
I don't blame the aussie......just sharing

That, my good man, is my $.02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom