What kind of u-joints should i get? Napa? Genuine Toyota?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My ride needs some new u-joints and I was wondering what kind I should get. I've heard from some people that genuine toyota is the only way to go and I've heard from others that Napa u-joints are really good. What do you all think? Thanks.

Ive used NAPAs lifetime greasable u-joints on my old 4Runner and had good luck with them.

Check with Cdan, he can probably get you OEM for close to what the NAPA units cost.

I think either are fine, I'll probably go OEM when I do mine next.

Hodag

GMB

the napa ones will do just fine. just keep grease in em just liek everything else.

the napa ones will do just fine. just keep grease in em just like everything else.

I had heard that the Napa ones don't quite fit right-maybe just a shade too small. If you got them to work, that's great because I have a set I bought for spares, years ago. Toyota ones just don't seem to wear out if kept lubed. I have original u-joint on my FJ60 (215k) and my 80 series (110k), that seem as good as new.

When I installed my H55f 18 months ago and had the shafts re-sized, the driveshaft shop said not to bother replacing the u-joints! They said they rarely see problems with the Toyota OEM ones.

Reccomendation: buy OEM, and be happy for 20+ years.

The last GMB's I bought (15-20 years ago) lasted almost a week.
My OEM Toyotas are at 254K and 231k on my 80s. Same as Cruiserdrew said, the driveline shop said leave them alone.

regarding my suggestion of GMB...just a personal preference.

http://www.gmb.net/

check out the "performance series" joint...

Did you break yours or wear them out from lack of lube?

Neither one, I imported my Hj60 from canada and have been slowly fixing all of the things that it's last abusive owner did to it - he wore them out though.

G'day Moondog,

I recently replaced all my u-joints with non-genuine Toyota. Absolute PITA. I can't get a grease gun onto the nipples without dropping one end of either drive shaft. The nipples are located to close to the yoke. Very frustrating. GO GENUINE.

Cheers,

Ben

I had my front shaft at a driveshaft rebuilding and balancing shop last week.
I asked the guy who looked at my driveshaft what the best uni joints were.
He said Hardy Spicer

I recently replaced all my u-joints with non-genuine Toyota. Absolute PITA. I can't get a grease gun onto the nipples without dropping one end of either drive shaft. The nipples are located to close to the yoke. Very frustrating. GO GENUINE.

let me preface this by saying that it is possible that the design of the aftermarket u-joint is what's preventing a grease gun from fitting in between the joint and the yoke.

however, it is also possible to install a u-joint backwards so that the zerk fitting is inaccessible once the shaft is back in the car. when i was first starting out as a mechanic i made this mistake a few times, (on old British cars no less.) i learned my lesson though...haven't make that mistake since.

I had my front shaft at a driveshaft rebuilding and balancing shop last week.
I asked the guy who looked at my driveshaft what the best uni joints were.
He said Hardy Spicer

I was told the same thing many years ago..... Tired to find Spicer u-joints for the 60....I don't think they are offered anymore.

Maybe someone else knows more...

Does Dana own spicer, or, are they one and the same?

I was told the same thing many years ago..... Tired to find Spicer u-joints for the 60....I don't think they are offered anymore.

Maybe someone else knows more...

Does Dana own spicer, or, are they one and the same?

I dont know. It seems the aussie branch still operates under Hardy Spicer.

http://www.hardyspicer.com.au/driveline_products.asp

The shop told me that is what they supply unless its unavailable or the customer specifies something different.

The toyota U-joints are siginficantly stronger than any aftermarket (till they start making them out of 300M)

Use toyota, and do not concern yourself with breakage..

Napa and brute force are a waste of time.

The toyota U-joints are siginficantly stronger than any aftermarket (till they start making them out of 300M)

Use toyota, and do not concern yourself with breakage..

Napa and brute force are a waste of time.

Mace is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom