What kind of tie rod and drag link ends do I have? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tone33

SILVER Star
Threads
I bought a '78 FJ40 about a month ago and have been going through it. It has a beefy aftermarket steering setup where the tie rod is routed behind the diff - which I think is 4x4 labs, but I'm not positive (I've heard Luke makes or used to make this setup - not sure if anyone else does). I need to replace the ends as one is seized and one is floppy. I also have the saginaw steering upgrade. Any idea what kind of ends I might have or how I could go about matching them up? I went to my local auto parts stores but they all want year/make/model to match up - seems they can't look them up by pitch/length/thread direction anymore. I have a build thread over here - in case anyone happens to know the history or PO of this mustard colored TN/GA FJ40. Oh, and I also have the small bolt pattern on my knuckles, if that helps. So... any ideas?

arms1.jpeg

arms2.jpeg

arms3.jpeg

arms4.jpeg

Last edited:
pics of ends

IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4264.jpeg

more pics

IMG_4266.jpeg

IMG_4267.jpeg

IMG_4268.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

...and more pics ...

IMG_4348.jpeg

knuckles.jpeg

knuckles1.jpeg

Those look like 4x4 Labs steering arms. Ends should be GM 1 ton. 'Large' pattern knuckles.

Any idea what year or year-range? When you say "large" pattern knuckles - do you mean on the GM part?

No, refers to the knuckle stud pattern (spacing), and 12mm studs. Came out around 1/79, so you may not have them after all. Call 4x4 labs, they shoud be able tell you what TREs you have/need.

Large pattern spacing is 55mm x 30mm. Small pattern is 46mm x 30mm.

Right - I have the small pattern w 11mm studs. My truck is a 12/78.

Missed it by a month. I prefer the large pattern but never really had an issue with the small pattern knuckles. If you wheel hard you should check the torque on the knuckle stud nuts regularly. That'll help keep you out of trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom