What kind of Distributor is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a used '79 (small cap) distributor off of ebay for a spare and because one of the screws is broken off in my existing one and it is definitely an electronic ignition distributor, but it has 2 vacuum fittings on the vacuum advance diaphragm.

What is the other vacuum fitting for and what do I hook it to? Is there any advantage in this distributor over the one I have with only 1 vacuum connection?

I hope I didn't buy something that I can't use.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Rick;

If memory serves, the inside port is standard vacuum advance and the outside port is high altitude advance. U will need the "Toyota 2F engine emission control" manual [Publication No. 98333] for stock hook up info.

This is probably one of the best of many models of Toyota distributors; some day I'll put mine back into service. I'm using a delco to drive the Jacobs system.

There isn't too much need for the high altitude port in GA, so I think u could just cap that port.

There is a ton of stuff on the forum WRT distributors; start with the 'tech' section.

dfmorse said:
There isn't too much need for the high altitude port in GA, so I think u could just cap that port.

Thanks for the info!

I'm sure you're right about the high altitude advance not being necessary in GA. Do you have any idea what altitude would be the minimum where this would be an advantage? I was wondering, because there are a few of what we call "mountains" around here, but they are probably lower than the foothills in CO or somewhere like that...

Thanks again!

I think its affective at around 6000 ft and above; maybe a 3-4 degree advance.

it is vac retard..but I am probably going to try to use mine for a boost retard feature..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom