1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of Distributor is this?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Rick '79 FJ40, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Rick '79 FJ40

Rick '79 FJ40 SILVER Star

I bought a used '79 (small cap) distributor off of ebay for a spare and because one of the screws is broken off in my existing one and it is definitely an electronic ignition distributor, but it has 2 vacuum fittings on the vacuum advance diaphragm.

What is the other vacuum fitting for and what do I hook it to? Is there any advantage in this distributor over the one I have with only 1 vacuum connection?

I hope I didn't buy something that I can't use.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

2. dfmorse

dfmorse

Rick;

If memory serves, the inside port is standard vacuum advance and the outside port is high altitude advance. U will need the "Toyota 2F engine emission control" manual [Publication No. 98333] for stock hook up info.

This is probably one of the best of many models of Toyota distributors; some day I'll put mine back into service. I'm using a delco to drive the Jacobs system.

There isn't too much need for the high altitude port in GA, so I think u could just cap that port.

There is a ton of stuff on the forum WRT distributors; start with the 'tech' section.

3. Rick '79 FJ40

Rick '79 FJ40 SILVER Star

Thanks for the info!

I'm sure you're right about the high altitude advance not being necessary in GA. Do you have any idea what altitude would be the minimum where this would be an advantage? I was wondering, because there are a few of what we call "mountains" around here, but they are probably lower than the foothills in CO or somewhere like that...

Thanks again!

4. dfmorse

dfmorse

I think its affective at around 6000 ft and above; maybe a 3-4 degree advance.

5. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

it is vac retard..but I am probably going to try to use mine for a boost retard feature..

6. petescoffee

petescoffee

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">