What kind of an effort is replacing a T-case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Honest expectations for someone who knows their way around a wrench but has never done heavy stuff like this. A couple guys and an afternoon? Any special tools? I have the FSM but its less than clear for a swap.

My front extension housing bearing is bad, thinking of just getting a used replacement from cruiserparts and swapping it in. The shop I called said its nearly a 7 hour job. I just don't see it.

Any advice from someone whos done it?

I helped a bud pull his, was out in <2.5hrs & that counts a little BS time getting down & under it.

He installed himself - I remember him saying he made a little cradle for his floor jack so he could get it close to stab bolts back to trans tail.
He didn't complain like it took all day & night.

We only had his out to do the low range oversize gear, no problem issues.

He did all the work over at his house rather than on my hoist since he could slide under it fine just sitting on J springs.

I helped a bud pull his, was out in <2.5hrs & that counts a little BS time getting down & under it.

He installed himself - I remember him saying he made a little cradle for his floor jack so he could get it close to stab bolts back to trans tail.
He didn't complain like it took all day & night.

We only had his out to do the low range oversize gear, no problem issues.

He did all the work over at his house rather than on my hoist since he could slide under it fine just sitting on J springs.

Whats involved other than swearing and the need for a jack?

Beer.

I do my best work saving beer for post install work (imagine that).
Removal only --- beer is good, plus a pre-emptive Advil.

Srsly, it was simply a matter of planning ahead & just the norm - break torque on all the bolts, come back & remove all but the easy pair at the ~10 o'clock & ~1 o'clock otherside. Or whichever if you own tapered lineup bars.

We just were being conscientious about supporting the input shaft since his Xcase was fine & just being modded.

If you have a floorjack, it would work awesome to cradle it - as the guy benchpressing it down onto my chest once free I'd guess it's ~60#'s.
I'm not a pumped up guy, and it sure felt like overkill when I was thinking it was 2) 45# plates at a gym.

I'd really get a 2nd guy or else floorjack/support it tho - from memory the input shaft is inset about 2" into the trans output.

I have not done this, but I am willing to bet the hardest part is breaking loose the Prop-Shaft bolts. Those damn things are TIGHT!

I have not done this, but I am willing to bet the hardest part is breaking loose the Prop-Shaft bolts. Those damn things are TIGHT!

Well that's the good news... I'm half way done with that already

just don't forget step 6. that is the most important step and never seems to be in the manual...
:beer:

just don't forget step 6. that is the most important step and never seems to be in the manual...
:beer:

We need to amend that to steps 6, 7, and maybe even a 8.

Catch a slight 'comfortably numb' state - and those 3 cans lined up on the edge of the tub/shower/whatever you got --mean you got a redneck man-spa / attitude adjuster right there:grinpimp:

We need to amend that to steps 6, 7, and maybe even a 8.

Catch a slight 'comfortably numb' state - and those 3 cans lined up on the edge of the tub/shower/whatever you got --mean you got a redneck man-spa / attitude adjuster right there:grinpimp:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who opens a beer on the way into the shower after a difficult but successful day of wrenching :hillbilly:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who opens a beer on the way into the shower after a difficult but successful day of wrenching :hillbilly:

#1 is usually gone before my showhead is warm.
My girlfriend knows what empty cans thrown in the general direction of the sink mean. And she's awesomely quiet about it.

Frankly, I think she's just happy I buy canned beer for truck work / redneck spa time.

I don't hide what I do, and I doubt anybody here judges me (and those who do, aren't fully honest with the rest of us ;) ).

Have fun getting on the forward upper bolt that is partially blocked by the adapter casting.

How many miles on the T-case? The bearings last a long long time unless maintenance was let go.

Have fun getting on the forward upper bolt that is partially blocked by the adapter casting.

How many miles on the T-case? The bearings last a long long time unless maintenance was let go.

I seemed to recall that one (thought there was 2 bishes up there), why SOP for us refinery guys is to:

Break Torque on all bolts,
Come back & pull all PITA bolt/studs,
Drop in a few lineup bars if can, then last easy bolts.

I seemed to recall that one (thought there was 2 bishes up there), why SOP for us refinery guys is to:

Break Torque on all bolts,
Come back & pull all PITA bolt/studs,
Drop in a few lineup bars if can, then last easy bolts.
The bolt, which I still curse, is more easily access through the gear shifter hole in the floor. The only HF2AV that I have removed came out of the 80 I rolled and the entire rig was being dismantled bolt by bolt so the gear shift unit needed to come out anyway.

290k, front bearing has axial play and noise.

I watched Robbie Antonson in Boulder pull the rear nose of my transfer case. He replaced it with a rebuild one and it took a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.

I was really thankful as I was on a long trip through Colorado from Dallas. The rear nose started making significant racket. The bearing in the rear nose was gone. Don't think I would have made it back on time without him having a rebuilt one available and being willing to install it on a Saturday morning.

Robbie and Onur (Beno) probably know more about 80 series transfer cases than anybody else out there. They have certainly rebuilt more of them and since they now share space in the same garage, they are an invaluable source of information, parts and rebuilt transfer cases.

Rebuilding one yourself if you haven't ever taken it on might be a bit ambitious. I'd call Beno (Onur) and see if he and Robbie have one already rebuilt they can simply ship to you. You can replace it and ship the old one back. Why not get one from someone who knows what they are doing?

I have had my 80 since 97 and have done immaculate maintenance on it. The bearings last a long time until you change the angle by lifting the vehicle. They can then go bad in a hurry.

I watched Robbie Antonson in Boulder pull the rear nose of my transfer case. He replaced it with a rebuild one and it took a couple of hours on a Saturday morning.

I was really thankful as I was on a long trip through Colorado from Dallas. The rear nose started making significant racket. The bearing in the rear nose was gone. Don't think I would have made it back on time without him having a rebuilt one available and being willing to install it on a Saturday morning.

Robbie and Onur (Beno) probably know more about 80 series transfer cases than anybody else out there. They have certainly rebuilt more of them and since they now share space in the same garage, they are an invaluable source of information, parts and rebuilt transfer cases.

Rebuilding one yourself if you haven't ever taken it on might be a bit ambitious. I'd call Beno (Onur) and see if he and Robbie have one already rebuilt they can simply ship to you. You can replace it and ship the old one back. Why not get one from someone who knows what they are doing?

I have had my 80 since 97 and have done immaculate maintenance on it. The bearings last a long time until you change the angle by lifting the vehicle. They can then go bad in a hurry.

Pretty sure mine with bad from hydraulic pressure since I have a shim in the front instead of a crush washer. Mine is lifted but only 50mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom