What Japanese auction sites should I be watching for diesel 80's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was originally intending to get one from Canada (still my plan) but it's nice to look. What are some of the more common auction houses you watched to get your diesel 80? Thanks.

bids.b-pro.ca is what I used to buy mine. Though I'm not sure the value is there lately. I've seen some spectacular deals in Canada lately that make quite the case for buying in NA.

You were exactly the person I was hoping would reply to this, having read your thread this very day. I'm in the market for an HDJ81. I use Kijiji to search Canada, and (rarely) craigslist. What do you use to look for them in Canada? I really like going to Canada anyway.

You were exactly the person I was hoping would reply to this, having read your thread this very day. I'm in the market for an HDJ81. I use Kijiji to search Canada, and (rarely) craigslist. What do you use to look for them in Canada? I really like going to Canada anyway.
I've seen quite a few for sale on this very forum. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't and would instead elect to find one in Canada. The wait is just brutal.

Or, bypass all the paperwork and just by one from a reputable importer like Land Cruisers Direct.;)

I'd rather save money and buy for myself, and import it on my own. Some of those are more than twice what I'd spend just driving it back in from Canada! Isn't it fairly easy to import a 25 year old vehicle? I've read the regulations aplenty, and goodness knows there are many of them...

Or you could look for a left hand drive in Europe, then it won't need to be 25 years old if you go through an importer.

Or you could look for a left hand drive in Europe, then it won't need to be 25 years old if you go through an importer.

Are you sure an HDJ81 is importable under the "substantial similarity" clause if it's LHD?

Are you sure an HDJ81 is importable under the "substantial similarity" clause if it's LHD?

No it won't.

On the flip side, getting an 80 from Canada does have downsides!

For starters they are usually WELL used. It is tough finding one in good condition. I haven't seen any really nice HDJ81s pop up on the market since I found mine more than a year ago.

No it won't.

On the flip side, getting an 80 from Canada does have downsides!

For starters they are usually WELL used. It is tough finding one in good condition. I haven't seen any really nice HDJ81s pop up on the market since I found mine more than a year ago.

Any tips on what to look for would really make me a happy person. I know I need to do BEB and fluids asap, but are there any red flags that something is a beater? I don't care too much about the interior as I would probably gut it ASAP.

Any tips on what to look for would really make me a happy person. I know I need to do BEB and fluids asap, but are there any red flags that something is a beater? I don't care too much about the interior as I would probably gut it ASAP.

I can't speak as an expert as I've only had mine just over a year. I think BEBs, valve clearances, timing belt and then it's all general 80 series maintenance stuff.

If any come up in calgary I can take a look for ya.

At 100,000kms you'll want to make sure the timing belt (water pump and coolant flush are a good idea too), and front axle rebuild have been done BEB's as soon as you take possession, and ACSD (Automatic Cold Start Device) delete on the injection pump is another thing you want to get looked after ASAP.

Good advice from Ian there. If you are looking at higher mileage (200k+ kms), check if injectors have been replaced/rebuilt and the fuel pump as well. I just did both those items in the past year and it's not cheap.

No, I am not sure, but none of this importing is a sure thing. I do know that RHD cannot be considered substantially similar, while LHD can. All years of the 80 series, as well as the 100 series up to 2006 are eligible for import as "substantially similar" thanks to petitions by registered importers. I have never heard of anyone importing one though. The diesel engine throws it off a bit as far as EPA eligibility, but EPA exemption is at 21 years, so that brings you up to a 3/1995 manufacturing date. I'm sure the expense of having the registered importer do all the mods would be crazy, but it's still something to look into.

No, I am not sure, but none of this importing is a sure thing. I do know that RHD cannot be considered substantially similar, while LHD can. All years of the 80 series, as well as the 100 series up to 2006 are eligible for import as "substantially similar" thanks to petitions by registered importers. I have never heard of anyone importing one though. The diesel engine throws it off a bit as far as EPA eligibility, but EPA exemption is at 21 years, so that brings you up to a 3/1995 manufacturing date. I'm sure the expense of having the registered importer do all the mods would be crazy, but it's still something to look into.
$16k is the fee I was quoted by two separate RI's for such an import. Doable, but somewhat pricey. I'm considering a 100 for my next import tho, 16k is still better than buying a new car.

Still curious about what auction houses I ought to be watching.

Any recommendations for a particular exporter?

Honestly it's worth spending the money for someone good and reputable to have your best interest over in Japan. They all cost the same - 100,000yen.

1) Mark @ Brave Auto
2) Derek @ Pacific Coast JDM

This is excellent info from earlier in your thread. I've used Mark @ Brave Auto 4X to import vehicles now, he's great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom