What Japanese auction sites should I be watching for diesel 80's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When we bought our HDJ81 in Edmonton in Jan, it took longer to buy the plane tickets and plan a fun trip through Jasper/Banff than to tranfer her into the USA. We temp-registered in Edmonton at "Licenses-are-us" ($25), got pulled over in Banff for no tags (the super nice trooper realized it was in the front left windshield, per silly Alberta rules, and sent us on our way after a nice conversation), crossed the border after 15 minutes of filling out three forms for no $ (EPA 21 yr rule, NTSB 25 yr rule, Customs requires those forms and supposedly tariffs but we didn't get charged and I'm sure a bill will show up in the mail some day), then VIN verify and register at our local agencies. Fairly painless and one hell of a beautiful road trip we need to repeat when there is less snow.

As for sources, it sounds like you're on the right track: CList, Kijiji, Ebay, various forums. I found one at the right price from a fellow mudder, which allowed $ for the inevitable maintenance items: front end, brakes, bushings, BEB, timing belt, water pump, coolant, valves, gaskets, seals, fluids, etc.

So far, I love the power plant of the 1HDT, compared to the excellent 1FZE that we're selling, and intend to buy more 81s as time goes on. This is just the first year they are available and I'm learning what I can about the motor. The rest is an 80.

As for pricing, I think ALL markets are over priced. These are old vehicles and the maintenance items I mentioned can easily add up to $10k! Did you check the compression before forking over the cash and starting an 1800 mile journey? Not to mention the lack of parts when you're stuck somewhere. If this was Cuba, an auto artisan could craft you a part, but in the USA...

Sellers: be realistic... if you're asking $25k, all that maint stuff better have been done well, and NO rust (not some). $15-18k rigs better be in great condition, but I'd still spend the maint money on piece of mind.

Bottom line: Buy cheap, like I did, and be prepared to dump significant cash into a rig that will last a long time, again.

Last edited:
Bingo. :clap:

Someone who understands the mechanico-logic.

A post from my thread from awhile ago; while I was discussing purchasing a 7x iteration, the same goes for what was posted above here in a succinct fashion:

Contacting Beno/Onur at Land Cruiser Parts and Consulting:

Hello,

There is no such thing as a cheap Land Cruiser.

While a higher purchase price might seem a bad thing, if the Cruiser is in good shape it will be worth it.

There is a difference between cleaning up, doing some repairs and changing relatively minor components -which is absolutely fun to do by yourself- and dumping a substantial amount of money in engine/body/power train repairs.

My two cents.

Juan

Back to the original question,
Still curious about what auction houses I ought to be watching.
I wouldn't mind a trip to Japan...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom