what is your engine's highway speed happy place? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Peak torque is at 2000 rpm for me.
At 65 mph(GPS) I'm at 2100ish rpm and i see almost 21mpg.

I'll call that my sweet spot.

Stock gears. 315's
this is killing me.

OME 2", 315s, apparently stock gears as I'm seeing from other rpm/speed reports; 10 mpg at 2300 70mph indicated.

New plugs rotors wires distributor intake tube. But old engine. Not using any oil however.

Not chasing mpg's or wouldn't be driving this - but efficiency is a challenging maddening rewarding endeavor. Long ways to go on this one apparently

Peak torque is at 2000 rpm for me.
At 65 mph(GPS) I'm at 2100ish rpm and i see almost 21mpg.

I'll call that my sweet spot.

Stock gears. 315's
Yikes! 10-12 mpg best lately with stock 1FZ……where’s my diesel???😍

I have stock gearing with 35’s in my 96,
Sweet spot for ok gas mileage is 2200-2300rpm
without getting run over…any higher rpm, I get terrible gas mileage..

2300 rpm is 71 mph gps

All cars get exponentially less efficient the faster they go. All about the aero baby (or lack thereof).

But who the heck wants to go 70mph on the US interstate? Semis are trucking along at 75mph on the regular. Gotta be at 80-5mph to find peace in the left lane. With new 1FZ-FE shoved in, now I'm typically at 85-90mph on roadtrips (~13 mpg) pushing 37s.

A bone stock new 1997 80 back in the day must've been an autobahn challenging missile!

All cars get exponentially less efficient the faster they go. All about the aero baby (or lack thereof).

But who the heck wants to go 70mph on the US interstate? Semis are trucking along at 75mph on the regular. Gotta be at 80-5mph to find peace in the left lane. With new 1FZ-FE shoved in, now I'm typically at 85-90mph on roadtrips (~13 mpg) pushing 37s.

A bone stock new 1997 80 back in the day must've been an autobahn challenging missile!

My dad would regularly drive aggressively at 85 mph down the freeway in his '94.

The damn thing was like sitting side seat on a asteroid racing around the sun :D

On my old Toyo MT 315s on Toyota steelies I would keep my highway cruise speed at 105 kph (65 mph) measured via my Garmin. This is on the highway near my place with hills but no real traffic. Rpm’s we’re about 2,100. Overall fuel consumption was about 22L/100 kms (10.7 miles/gal). This is with stk gears front ARB, dual batteries, Slee rear bumper, and wooden rear shelf system. Can’t imagine driving it any faster because of fuel consumption and I find it really annoying at 3,000 rpm.

60 is the speed limit here. The left lane might be going 68. State patrol is everywhere.

65 is a win.

60 is the speed limit here. The left lane might be going 68. State patrol is everywhere.

65 is a win.
I grew up in Mercer Island. I know WA state patrol all too well.

I’m talking about where semi trucks spend time which is the interstate on the outskirts of the metro where the speed limit is 70+.

Exception is LA. Lawless. Everyone is going 80 everywhere.

And my 80 has zero trouble keeping up with the joneses anywhere anytime powered by a new beating 1fzfe ❤️.

I grew up in Mercer Island. I know WA state patrol all too well.

I’m talking about where semi trucks spend time which is the interstate on the outskirts of the metro where the speed limit is 70+.

Exception is LA. Lawless. Everyone is going 80 everywhere.

And my 80 has zero trouble keeping up with the joneses anywhere anytime powered by a new beating 1fzfe ❤️.

My lowly diesel will do 75-80 too, but I don't see much reason. The one time I took it easy on the 90 I ran 70-75 and was content.
Also I can't set my cruise above 75.

But 95% of my 80s freeway trips are up and down i5

The Hampton roads area is like la. 55 mph limit. 75-80 is the flow.

I’m running all stock, on Discoverer 265/75r16 tires (new) until I update next year (and do the lift).

I recently did the entire cooling system as PM, to include an oil change, and I’m moving over to the ignition system in the next couple of weeks.

My sweet spot seems to be about 63-64 mph at around 2100 rpm’s. Oddly enough, I’m seeing about 19 mpg and torque pro tells me my average is about 21 mpg mix.

Torque app pic taken 30 sec after pulling into work and parking, fyi.

83E54474-120D-4E1F-B3FB-55B02B26BC6B.jpeg

05FCBF45-187C-4B68-B814-EA83C4792F55.jpeg

I’m running all stock, on Discoverer 265/75r16 tires (new) until I update next year (and do the lift).

I recently did the entire cooling system as PM, to include an oil change, and I’m moving over to the ignition system in the next couple of weeks.

My sweet spot seems to be about 63-64 mph at around 2100 rpm’s. Oddly enough, I’m seeing about 19 mpg and torque pro tells me my average is about 21 mpg mix.

Torque app pic taken 30 sec after pulling into work and parking, fyi.

View attachment 3116399

View attachment 3116400

Now do by hand.

All stock, fully baselined, exception of 255/85/16(33’s)

2400 rpm @65 mph, not corrected.

About 250 miles to the tank, not corrected, no fuel light on when I fill.

Someday I will do the corrections but when I drove it from Cali in 2019, not baselined, 280,000 miles on it, I averaged around mid 15’s up to 18. Cruising at 65 mph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom