What is wrong with my tailgate? And how do I fix it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
The lower half of the tailgate on my 60 is shut however it will not open. When I went to open it I heard a strange sound and it would not budge. There is no strange sound now when you are moving the latch, but the gate will not open. It is stuck in the shut position, and I have no clue how the hell to get it open, any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack

Zack1978 said:
Hey everyone,
The lower half of the tailgate on my 60 is shut however it will not open. When I went to open it I heard a strange sound and it would not budge. There is no strange sound now when you are moving the latch, but the gate will not open. It is stuck in the shut position, and I have no clue how the hell to get it open, any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack

Zack- Did you open any of the access panels on the inside of the gate? Take a look and you'll probably find the problem. Sounds like the mechanism has disconnected itself. Should be pretty easy to fix.

I'm not being a smart ass...
And you would not be the first to have done this-

Over on the passenger side of the gate, is the lock button pushed down?

Mitch

No the lock button works fine! It is just stuck in the closed position.

Zack

Sorry then!
Time to go back to cxs's post and open her up.
Either something is jammed in the opening and the linkage broke or, hopefully, the linkage came loose.

Good luck,
Mitch

1st - BREATHE...relax. You are asking for help so listen to people's suggestions. I am sure i am not the only one to freak out and it's something simple (like a lock button down). I know that's not the case, but it's a very valid thing to check.

2nd - crack that bad boy open! look into the interior of your tailgate through those access panels - you probably have something loose (like others suggested). hopefully a 5min reconnect fix.

Good luck - if all else fails - Yoda has the solution for ya. hehehe.

rob

I have also wondered what the point of the lock oo the tailgate is... anyone?

wingysataday said:
What is the point of the little lock knob on the tailgate?
...it lets you open the upper gate from the inside. my gate will lock and unlock from the outside, but last month it quit opening (push in on the button but nothing happens). Haven't had time to tear it appart yet, but i can open it from the inside by lifting up on that "little lock knob". My dog would be one very unhappy camper right now if it wasn't for that little "lock knob".
Thank you Toyota....

phantom60 said:
...it lets you open the upper gate from the inside. my gate will lock and unlock from the outside, but last month it quit opening (push in on the button but nothing happens). Haven't had time to tear it appart yet, but i can open it from the inside by lifting up on that "little lock knob". My dog would be one very unhappy camper right now if it wasn't for that little "lock knob".
Thank you Toyota....
wrong lock knob...they're talking about the lock knob for the lower gate.

...ooops, thanks for the correction, i'll shut up now. that's the nice thing about only getting 6 hours of sleep in the last 2 nights, every question seems easier than it really is. (i totally forgot about the lower gate "lock knob"). my dog doesn't even care about that one....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom