What is wrong in this picture? (rear drive shaft) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently I have been getting a faint oil burning smell, after normal driving, when everything is hot. I am guessing this is the cause. Thoughts and suggestions much appreciated!
Thanks!

Garrett
content___media_external_images_media_154.jpg
content___media_external_images_media_153.jpg

That's normal; the driveshaft yolk pukes out some grease and it gets flung onto the muffler. Looks like there isn't much build-up on the muffler; like the driveshaft yolk hasn't been greased all that often. Was it just recently greased?

Last edited:
Its normal
You need to grease that shaft more often.
I have grease all over the place from both my shafts

Its normal
You need to grease that shaft more often.
I have grease all over the place from both my shafts

How do you grease it and with what?

For the yolks you pump until the yolk just starts to be pushed out but no more. In the top photo you can see the zerk fitting for the yolk pointing straight up, it's in line with the bottom of the grease stain on the muffler.

Here's a photo of a front driveshaft and yolk:
DSC01186.JPG

Last edited:
FSM has the info you need - time to buy one if you don't already have one.

cheers,
george.

Attachments

• prop.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 146
Thanks guys! That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. And thanks Kernal for the tip on keeping it greased, sounds easy enough. From the records it was greased at 43K, in 2009 :D I think this truck is glad it is finally getting driven!! Sorry for the ignorance, but thanks to this forum I'm learning!!

I cant remember where but I think I read that it was better to pull the shaft apart and grease it so it willl slide in and out when the suspension flexes. If the grease is pumped in it while together when you flex the suspension a lot it doesnt allow the shaft to fully compress and puts more stress on the transfercase.

That has been discussed a lot. When I pulled my front driveshaft apart I found some old grease still at the bottom of the cavity in the yolk. I also noticed when I put the yolk back into the driveshaft on the bench the trapped air pressure was enough to keep me from compressing the yolk all the way down. So it got me to thinking that if there is an air "bubble" inside the yolk cavity and seeing that there was some 15 year old grease still in the yolk, I'm thinking that maybe when we see the yolk first start to move it may be trapped air that is pushing it out at least initially?? I still stop hand-pumping grease as soon as I see the yolk move. Here's another photo of the bottom of the yolk cavity right after pulling it apart. I had greased it within a few hundred miles. You can see some original pink grease at the bottom of the first photo and after I cleaned it out you can see the hole at the bottom where the fresh grease gets pumped in via the zerk.
DSC01200.JPG
DSC01237.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom