what is/was this - pieces found in split case speedo housing... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any insight as to what got chewed up and left in the speedo housing on back of my split case? i dont see damage anywhere...

20220715_112308.jpg

Not certain, but that could be an oil slinger?

anyone else? @65swb45 care to chime in?

If it's steel, looks like a mangled shim. Someone who had the case apart in the past lost a shim in the case and never found it.

If it's steel, looks like a mangled shim. Someone who had the case apart in the past lost a shim in the case and never found it.
I tend to agree... after looking a little closer some of the mangled bits look like they were pressed between the speedo drive gears. Im hopibg it was a quick little event when it got caught and all the bitts basically just rode out yhe interim (who knows how long) in the bottom of the speedo housing. it would be hsrd for them to migrate into the rest ofvthe case i would think?

20220717_172902.jpg

ooops meant to tag @orangefj45 instead of 65swb45 above , though would obviously welcome Mark's input as well...

Yup, looks like a shim ( under the rear output bearing race ) “got loose” ……

Looks like you got lucky.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

thanks Georg - calling soon for some parts...

It does appear to be a rear output preload shim but it could also be a speedy sleeve that came off of a repaired rear output flange and got chewed by the drive/driven speedo gears.

thanks for the reply kurt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom