What is "vapor lock"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is vapor lock? I have a fj60 that has hard starts when warmed up. Someone suggested it might be VP.
John

The fuel pump recirculates excess fuel, so the chances of vapor lock on an FJ60 are essentially zero.

The fuel pump recirculates excess fuel, so the chances of vapor lock on an FJ60 are essentially zero.

I dunno - in Tucson, in 100+ heat, no carb fan ?

Is your carb fan working ? (the fan on the driver's side fender that runs after the engine is turned off).

:meh:

I have seen a FJ60 vaporlock before in 70F degree weather

Yup. Mine is much harder to start when it's hot outside than when it's cold (hot and cold being relative, of course, being this far south).

OK, vapor lock happens when the fuel in the lines gets to hot and turn to vapor. The system is designed to pump liquid, not vapor, and shut down or causes a sluggish running rig. The carb cooling fan cools the fuel lines near the engine where the most heat is. Some suggested and cheap fixes are: insolating the fuel lines in the engine compartment or using a vented gas cap. Someone suggested an eletronic fuel pump, but does that mean you have to remove the mechanical one on the block?
I'm sharing what I learn and passing it on. Hope it helps others with the problem I have.
John

Make sure the fuel pump spacer is not cracked. This could cause vapor lock, It has happened on my 60 before.

So I'm assuming these "suggestions" did not come from cruiserheads...

Some suggested and cheap fixes are: insolating the fuel lines in the engine compartment or using a vented gas cap. Someone suggested an eletronic fuel pump, but does that mean you have to remove the mechanical one on the block?

You don't need to do any of those --

Make sure YOUR CARB FAN IS WORKING ?

Switch the two lines to the Charcoal Canister - so the one marked "TANK" is going to purge and the one marked "PURGE" is going to the tank.

Spikestrip,
Yes, carb fan is workinging. My plan is to drive it for a bit with the gas cap off to see if it chugs. If so, I'll just get a vented gas cap. If that is not the problem, I'll swap the lines on the canister. I have the emissions control repair manual for a 1981 (mine is an 86) and plan to trace each line to make sure something is not hooked up wrong. I think the manual will work for my 86 fj.
Oh yeah, those tips did come from another non-cruiser source. From the link posted at top by Ukavatior. (thanks for those)
John
John

Emissions manual, though it says '81, is the same for '81-'87 . Cal and Fed.

Switching the canister lines does the same thing as a vented cap, only cheaper (try $0).

Going through the manual, system by system, is a good idea. You'll be surprised by what you find.

GL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom