What is this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure how to look this up.

I took my LX to the dealership this past week. Just noticed when I got it back that the little cover for this is missing.

What is this? I push down the white bit and it kind of feels like a button: springy. What does it do and why would the dealer be messing with the transmission control console?

Before I talk to the dealer, i want to know what else i should be concerned about.

If it helps, they were primarily checking out the AHC suspension. They did an oil change and their "safety" inspection.

20170128_123918.jpg

Shift Interlock Bypass...

Thanks all. So what ive breifly read is this do-dad lets you shift gears without touching the brake. Seems inocuous enough maybe if they wanted to push my car around.

Any good or bad reason the dealer was messing with this? (And losimg the cover in the process?)

with my 05 LC when they did the airbag recall they went through the center counsel so if that is what you were in for they may have bumper it.

Not sure how to look this up.

I took my LX to the dealership this past week. Just noticed when I got it back that the little cover for this is missing.

What is this? I push down the white bit and it kind of feels like a button: springy. What does it do and why would the dealer be messing with the transmission control console?

Before I talk to the dealer, i want to know what else i should be concerned about.

If it helps, they were primarily checking out the AHC suspension. They did an oil change and their "safety" inspection.

View attachment 1391069

Looks like a broken fingernail to me.

Is that another way of saying "Shift lock button"?
Yes, or "Shift Lock Override" or "the thing that unlocks the other thing when it won't move."

But wouldn't "Shift Lock Button" imply that the button locks the shifter?

Maybe you meant "Shift Unlock Button"? ;)

Last edited:
I have what one would call a "lock" on my front door. Does it lock or unlock my door?

Follow-up question: does the "Shift Lock" lock or unlock the shift?

I have what one would call a "lock" on my front door. Does it lock or unlock my door?

True, but what do you do with the key when the door won't move? ;)

This button is used when?

Gentlemen, clearly it is officially known as "Shift Unlock Button".

@feddomw It's used to unlock the shifter and allow you to shift gears if you need to move/tow your vehicle when your battery is either dead or disconnected. Without battery power the transmission will not shift no matter how hard you try. If you run into this problem just pop that cover off, push the button, shift to neutral, and push it or let it coast to the desired position to be jumped or hooked up to a wrecker.

So this is a different button than the button I have in my 100, which Toyota has helpfully labelled "Shift Lock"?

So this is a different button than the button I have in my 100, which Toyota has helpfully labelled "Shift Lock"?

A mis-translation from Japanese --> Arabic --> English
or
Another GCC only option that we didn't get in the US
:p

Seriously? US 100's don't have this marked?

That's
They actually make 2 different fascia for the center console / shifter?

That's
Not on either of mine...

Best we have is the FSM:
upload_2017-1-30_8-59-3.png

That's
If you don't mind could you possibly snap a pic of this "label" you are referring to? I've never seen a LC or LX that has that shift lock release button labeled.

The button, whatever these ret@®ds want to call it (it is described in the owner's manual in your glove box) is most commonly used to shift the truck into neutral from park when a dead battery prevents you from doing so, say to move the truck to attach jumper cables, or to facilitate loading onto a flatbed tow truck, or to release the steering lock, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom