What is this?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On the SOR website, page 182, they show a dome light switch but it doesn't look like what I have. Do any of you all have a dome light switch on your dash?

On the SOR website, page 182, they show a dome light switch but it doesn't look like what I have. Do any of you all have a dome light switch on your dash?

On a 78 the dome light switch would be on the dome light not the dash. The 12 volt positive ran straight to the bulb and the ground circuit ran thru the switch. Dome light would be in the hard top B pillar almost to the fiberglass cap.

Too small for a flux capacitator.
Hey maybe Doc and Marty found a way to make it smaller, remember the BRICK cellphone in the 90's? :cheers:
I promise no more hijack, back to topic.

Hey you could be right! It might be an old busted toggle switch, although an unusual looking one.
I did point out that it was Italian...

Good morning.
I just want my FJ to look and feel like it did back in '78 without pouring $$$s into it.
- no heater but have aftermarket AC, pulling AC and installing factory heater. I live at 5000ft and don't need the AC
- speedometer doesn't work but odometer does, pulled cluster and tried the drill test in reverse both speedometer and odometer work.
- fresh air vent, have ordered pull rod and knob but need a vent cover
- doom light needs to be wired correctly, confirmed "what is that" is a broken on/off switch

@cws57 I also have a SA import that has it's share of goblins (goblinos?). I'll be installing a heater at some point as well....
I've decided to make some lemonade with mine

Good morning.
I just want my FJ to look and feel like it did back in '78 without pouring $$$s into it.
- no heater but have aftermarket AC, pulling AC and installing factory heater. I live at 5000ft and don't need the AC
- speedometer doesn't work but odometer does, pulled cluster and tried the drill test in reverse both speedometer and odometer work.
- fresh air vent, have ordered pull rod and knob but need a vent cover
- doom light needs to be wired correctly, confirmed "what is that" is a broken on/off switch

I wouldn't just start ordering parts might find out if they are compatible with you final setup. There are more than just one vent rod. Most common is the from 66-72. 73 the radio opening started and rod design changed. From 74 model in 40s with a factory installed heater did not have an operating vent vent. In stead the new design heater had a vent on the top. This heater will not work with a cowl vent. The cover on the heater will block the location for the vent rod. Could probably install a earlier heater and keep the vent. You would still need the 73-78 vent rod. 73 was the only year is was used here. I need to locate a 73 rod myself. Have a 73 FST that a previous owner removed the factory heater and install a small heater from a Land Rover. Then installed a aftermarket evaporator under the dash. Sounds like the reason your is missing the rod as well.

Any ideas on why the speedometer isn't working but the odometer is? I ordered a new cable just in case the end of cable is worn just enough to make contact with the odometer but not the speedometer. The drill test in reverse had them both working.

Any ideas on why the speedometer isn't working but the odometer is? I ordered a new cable just in case the end of cable is worn just enough to make contact with the odometer but not the speedometer. The drill test in reverse had them both working.

Sorry I don't. Usually it's the odometer that is not working that needs to be torn down, cleaned and new grease. I would throw in another speedometer but I have spares. Without a spare I would reinstall the speedometer and be sure the speedometer cable is snapped tight into the back. See if it works. Just because would be sure the cable is tight at the transfer case. Mystery why it would work with a drill but not the cable.

Don’t feel too bad... Many of us are chasing PO demons in our North American rigs. The other universal one in most areas is rust.

Last edited:
Don’t feel too bad... Many of us are chasing PO demons in our North American rigs. The other universal one in most areas is rust.

Think I fixed it for you.

Rust has been the least of my issues. As a new owner unless you want to throw a ton of money at it being patient is the best thing you can do. Also asking questions if something would work ahead of time helps. Too many times see the one size fits all approach. While the FJ40 hard top looked pretty much the same from the mid sixties on doesn't mean all the parts with just interchange between years. Now have so many other market imports showing up.

Having a thread asking if one is a good one is a double edge sword. Will get some good advice but also have to deal with others swoop in and buy it first. Dealt with this since I bought a second Land Cruiser in the nineties. But at first was just beating someone out in the local newspaper. Then the local Auto Trader weekly magazine. Even before they were popular deals still went quickly.

I am learning to be patient, but as a rule I have had very little of it. Thanks for all the insights and education as I thought I knew something about FJ. Turns out I knew very little.

You're really optimistic that it's going to go fast enough that you'll need a speedometer?
Odometers come in handy to know when to fill up with gas when the gas gauge stops working. Stop every 100 miles...

I haven't put 20 miles on my FJ yet, after driving to CA to pick it up and trailer it home. I was wondering how far I could get on a tank full.

I haven't put 20 miles on my FJ yet, after driving to CA to pick it up and trailer it home. I was wondering how far I could get on a tank full.
Stock tank is *I think* 16 gallons, I have an aftermarket plastic replacement that's about 13 or 14 (or maybe 12 and stretches a bit).
Guess at 10 MPG (it might be less).
I drove mine around for two years with the sender unit in the tank failing when it was less than 1/2 full (gauge went from full to half and stayed there) and a broken odometer for a couple years (previous owner left the speedo cable laying on top of the exhaust). (not a daily driver)

I wouldn't start tearing it down right away. Would do projects that could be done as a day project then start collecting parts and planning larger ones. Ask questions about what you'll need and how to approach it before tearing it apart. Less likely to find out your missing a part or the part you bought is not the one you need. From experience know once to start tearing something down it's not going to go together as quick as you would. Planning ahead can help shorten the time.

I'm doing similar. Drive a little, wrench a little. Drive a little, wrench a little more.
I'm saving the bigger stuff for this winter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom