What is this wire and what do I do with it? New head unit install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installing a new double DIN head unit Pioneer DMH-1500NEX on 1999 LC, I got a wiring harness with from Crutchfield and everything mostly makes sense. However, I have one wire that doesn't seem to have anywhere for it to go and I dont know what it is or what it does. I am audio system illiterate and could find any kind of wiring diagram for this in the FSM or here on MUD.

IMG-5836.jpg

In the original factory radio assembly it was a next to this larger wire that I did find a home for on the new unit.
IMG-5837.jpg

Here is where they plugged into the original radio assembly, the one I cant figure out went into the hole on the left.
IMG-5835.jpg

This the back of the pioneer unit. The large hole near at the bottom right corner fit the larger cable with the metal spring cable stays that was below the "FM 75" on the factory unit. Nothing else seems to accommodate the other wire.
g130DM1500-B.jpg

@Titan202 I know you recently installed a similar pioneer unit with a crutchfield wiring harness...do you know what this wire is or what I am supposed to do with it?

Last edited:
100 series has two antennas, the power one in the fender and a wire one in the rear quarter glass. Think you want the larger of the two for your new HU.
Okay, so I think really even need this wire? with the new HU I'm not gonna need radio much anyways, do I just tape it up and stuff it back in?

As stated above, it's Toyota's diversity antenna.

Either use an adapter like this:

Amazon product ASIN B015X33YHO
or just shove it back into the dash and ignore it.
Thanks! I'' probably never use the radio but I kinda feel the need go ahead and get that to make it complete. Also, this means that wire probably has nothing to do with the hum am I getting in the audio system once I hooked everything up....which it looks like from a search on the forum is some kind of ground issue.

Lets talk about the hum...

main question: did you get the big ass amp bypass harness from crutchfield or did you choose the smaller harness that simply plugs in behind the stereo?

This is the correct harness to use when installing an aftermarket stereo. it plugs in underneath the passenger seat and you run the wires under the carpet, behind the dash and splice it into your new stereo harness. Theres actually another step that Metra/Crutchfield does not include and luckily someone gives a good step-by-step on how to get it all complete.

I just installed a 2600 nex pioneer. You dont need the small extra antenna wire. Tuck it back in. I used an adapter from the original harness to the pioneer was very easy. I've not had an issues with noise from the factory amp but I'm not an audiophile.

Lets talk about the hum...

main question: did you get the big ass amp bypass harness from crutchfield or did you choose the smaller harness that simply plugs in behind the stereo?
yeahh......I didnt do the amp bypass....just the simple one for a simple man...

I was going to try both a RCA ground loop isolator which looks like it may or may not help, and an in-line power noise suppression filter. I'm a bit confused though, apparently the amplifier isnt totally needed for these HU's to power speakers but you will lose the subwoofer? Idk it seemed worth the $20 to try these two items to keep the amp.

Looks like the RCA ground loop isolator goes into the amp (which is beneath the passenger seat?) and I think the noise filter taps into the wires for the harness to the head unit, I think...

Last edited:
I just installed a 2600 nex pioneer. You dont need the small extra antenna wire. Tuck it back in. I used an adapter from the original harness to the pioneer was very easy. I've not had an issues with noise from the factory amp but I'm not an audiophile.
I'm not an audiophile either but mine is super obvious.

This is the correct harness to use when installing an aftermarket stereo. it plugs in underneath the passenger seat and you run the wires under the carpet, behind the dash and splice it into your new stereo harness. Theres actually another step that Metra/Crutchfield does not include and luckily someone gives a good step-by-step on how to get it all complete.

The link says its for a 2000-2006, did it work for your 99 or did you install it on another vehicle? And does this mean you lose the subwoofer?

Don't waste your time trying to make the factory amp work. Bypass it and enjoy the decent audio.

And no. You will NOT miss the factory "sub".
View attachment 2547383
Are you saying the audio is better without it? Because the bypass harness is $20 and the noise filter and ground is $20 and the bypass harness looks like my work.

I'm not an audiophile either but mine is super obvious.
Looked it up and I used a Metra 70-8112 on my 99. The only issue I've got is that the stereo doesn't auto dim when the headlights are on. I notice my adapter has nothing where the orange wire from the original harness was. I cut the orange from the original harness and spliced it into the stereo harness and still no auto fade.

Looked it up and I used a Metra 70-8112 on my 99. The only issue I've got is that the stereo doesn't auto dim when the headlights are on. I notice my adapter has nothing where the orange wire from the original harness was. I cut the orange from the original harness and spliced it into the stereo harness and still no auto fade.
Yeah I got that same harness, probably a dim feature on the headunit.

The link says its for a 2000-2006, did it work for your 99 or did you install it on another vehicle? And does this mean you lose the subwoofer?

Oh my bad, I didnt realize you were in a 99. Not sure if anyone has used the bypass amp harness on the 98-99.

For 98-99...I believe people have simply run fresh wire from head unit to each speaker.

If you havent already, here's a great article on bypassing.

OP didn't mention year. Confusing threads perhaps. I have a 2000 Tundra which had a JVC radio with the AMP. It's been years since I upgraded it to double din pioneer, but it did have a horrid buzz and I did rip out the amp. Luckily the amp was right under the radio. I understand in these trucks it's under the passenger seat so the harness with the long wires makes sense.

The NEX series have a submenu for the dimming settings of the head unit. Most can be set via preset times of the clock, or auto via the dimming wire input voltage.

OP didn't mention year. Confusing threads perhaps. I have a 2000 Tundra which had a JVC radio with the AMP. It's been years since I upgraded it to double din pioneer, but it did have a horrid buzz and I did rip out the amp. Luckily the amp was right under the radio. I understand in these trucks it's under the passenger seat so the harness with the long wires makes sense.
Added it in to the OP.
The NEX series have a submenu for the dimming settings of the head unit. Most can be set via preset times of the clock, or auto via the dimming wire input voltage.
Thank you! 🙏

Oh my bad, I didnt realize you were in a 99. Not sure if anyone has used the bypass amp harness on the 98-99.

For 98-99...I believe people have simply run fresh wire from head unit to each speaker.

If you havent already, here's a great article on bypassing.

damn...this sounds like much freaking more work on top of everything...anyone know if there is a ready made bypass harness for 98-99 LC's? Also confused, after soldering/crimping those 4 connections it list then what? Then I need to run all those wires from speakers to head unit?

damn...this sounds like much freaking more work on top of everything...anyone know if there is a ready made bypass harness for 98-99 LC's? Also confused, after soldering/crimping those 4 connections it list then what? Then I need to run all those wires from speakers to head unit?
To start, I'd double check your wiring. I used the same harness two weeks ago on my 99 and have no issues Running new wires is not the solution.

To start, I'd double check your wiring. I used the same harness two weeks ago on my 99 and have no issues Running new wires is not the solution.
you used the same harness? Isn't it all plug and play...aside from the parking brake and reverse signals...was I supposed to ground something?

Also mine is crazy loud, even with the volume set super low, it sound like this is something to do with the amp as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom