What is this? Sorry for the dumb question! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

I've recently gotten into the 40 club and am slowly working on a resto mod. I'm a bit stumped as to what this vacuum tube goes to or is for. The engine was converted to a Chevy small block by a previous owner. Thanks for any help!

Something weird going on there. I'm thinking you need to check your engine grounds... looks like the choke or throttle cable was sitting under that piece for some reason and got really warm and melted it.
Yep it's grounded to the frame right above the elbow and melted right through it. I think that was jury rigged from the previous previous owner.

Yep it's grounded to the frame right above the elbow and melted right through it. I think that was jury rigged from the previous previous owner.

What he was saying is that you likely have bad ground somewhere and the choke cable ended up completing the ground circuit between the body and engine instead of a ground cable. The excessive current created a lot of heat energy in the choke cable and melted the vacuum port on the booster.

What he was saying is that you likely have bad ground somewhere and the choke cable ended up completing the ground circuit between the body and engine instead of a ground cable. The excessive current created a lot of heat energy in the choke cable and melted the vacuum port on the booster.
What he said. I found similar problem on a tractor. It was slow to start even with a booster battery and you could smell a burning wire but not find it. Figured out that the ground had failed when I noticed smoke coming off the throttle cable. I bet you will find voltage going across the choke cable if you check it with a multi meter.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy a new brake booster valve for a 1971? I've found a few online but only for 1975 and younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom