What Is this Rear Bumper? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen this on a few 40s, so I’m assuming someone was making these a while ago. What are the holes in the mounting brackets for? Is that for recovery?
F16B927B-2CC3-48AA-8BB5-CD2673CB604F.jpeg

Chain, presumably a tow chain, will fit through the round part of the hole and lock in the slot part. ;)

I was given one of these that is two tubes and angles forward at the sides. I mounted on a non operating FJ40 I was flat towing. Went to put a basket in the receiver and the corners were to rounded for the basket to slide in. I don't tow anything with a FJ40 that would require a receiver hitch and though about grinding the mounting brackets to remove the lower tube. That one clearily hangs down to low and would be dragging all the time off road.

I believe it’s an old Con-Fer design but JT outfitters was selling them a couple years ago. I’m not sure where mine is from - I got it used and there’s no branding. It is in storage now - replaced it with a 4 Plus swing-out. I will say that it is a super stout bumper - I bounced it off many rocks on steep exits and, while the powder coating gave up, the steel scratched, but didn’t dent appreciably.

Yes, the brackets are for chains/shackles and serve as a recovery point, though I never loved that they sat behind the tube the way they do. Never had need of them but I have no doubt they would have held just fine.

09CD60A7-13C1-4F59-8A83-91402E539800.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom