what is this port for (V8 Vortec heads) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
what is this port for (V8 Vortec heads)

I look at this port and I do not know what I look at. :confused:
someone can give me a clue.

Regards
Nordwind
112.JPG

I'll be honest with you, that doesn't look like any vortec manifold I've seen. There might be vortec heads on there, but isn't that a carb base in the photo?

So what manifold is that?

That should be for coolant to flow to the intake plate near the TB or whatever injection you are running. Part of a functioning EGR (exhaust gas recirculation). Lots of people delete them purely to reduce intake manifold temperatures.

I may be way off, because i have never seen that intake before with that passage.

It is the EGR port. Type 3 manifold. Type 1 has no ports, type 2 has EGR port and mechanical choke port. It should use a L82 EGR. It is the same port you see on a ZZ4 engine.

What do I do with it?
powder-coated the lid and close it?
,use the port for something else?

Could I use the port for the "external coolant bypass"

,I've read
GENERAL MOTORS
SERVICE PARTS OPERATIONS
Any small block engine, regardless of year, that uses Vortec heads, will require an external coolant bypass line from the intake manifold to the 5/8" hose nipple on the water pump (passenger’s side)

Close it back up or go and buy a C.A.R.B. legal carburetor and a EGR and a thermal switch and a thermostat housing that has a hole for the thermal switch and hook it up.

What do I do with it?
powder-coated the lid and close it?
,use the port for something else?

Could I use the port for the "external coolant bypass"

,I've read
GENERAL MOTORS
SERVICE PARTS OPERATIONS
Any small block engine, regardless of year, that uses Vortec heads, will require an external coolant bypass line from the intake manifold to the 5/8" hose nipple on the water pump (passenger’s side)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom