What is this part under the glove box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While troubleshooting my A/C electrical, I saw this part (edit: the black, oval part on the underside of the metal part of the dash):

IMG_0682.jpg

It connects under the glove box like this (the factory connector):

IMG_0681.jpg

What is it?

Never mind- I just remembered what it is- I even have the factory part for it in my glove box. I'll post a picture of it later in case I'm not the only idiot out there.

Outlet for an inspection or trouble light I believe. Spector used to have some, but I can't find them on their website now.

i think the dealer might still ahve them too. looks like a miniature drop light, with a two prong plug like you'd stick in a wall socket (but don't do that)

Here's a picture or 2- I'm sure there's more out there.

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Bright idea, huh!

Now for a side question while I'm in there- anyone know how to troubleshoot the glove box light? I hot wired it to the drop light outlet and it worked fine, but it won't turn on when the glove box is opened. It looks like the switch to the glove box door is simple- I took it off and cleaned it up, but it still doesn't work. The fuse shares with the tail lights and side markers and it is fine. Any other ideas?

i love my 62 but i sure wish it had one of these!

The glove box light only works with the headlights in the "ON" position.

Dynosoar:zilla:

snip>>The glove box light only works with the headlights in the "ON" position>>snip

THAT has been driving me crazy! and what a simple solution... what would we do without this forum...

i think the dealer might still ahve them too. looks like a miniature drop light, with a two prong plug like you'd stick in a wall socket (but don't do that)

x2!! I ruined one doing that. :frown:

This wasn't in my FSM- but I thought I would write up how to troubleshoot the glove box light if it isn't working. This needs to be on the top line in the FAQ.

If your glove box light isn't working:

1. Turn on headlights.
2. Open glove box.
3. Let there be light.:idea:

Dynosoar is a genius!!!
The glove box light only works with the headlights in the "ON" position.
Dynosoar:zilla:

Has anyone tried using this as a straight up plug in? Say for a... now I can't think of anything, but you get my drift right? Could it be used instead of a power inverter?

Has anyone tried using this as a straight up plug in? Say for a... now I can't think of anything, but you get my drift right? Could it be used instead of a power inverter?

It's 12 volt the power at the plug. So it is only good for 12 volt items. You could put small load items in there. Like GPS or something. But really where are you going to find the plug that fits it?

Well maybe a 120 volt standard plug fits it, I have never tried. But don't plug a 120 volt item in there. You will just blow the fuse.

Cool Cruisers had some of these, too. That's where I got mine a year ago. OEM part.

My 1st gen 4Runner also has this plug, under the left side of the dash. Same light works there.

oh yeah..

Haha, good point on the voltage. You'd think I would have learned my lesson overseas plugging 120v into 240v and watching my appliances sizzle!

Speaking of voltage, here's a somewhat related question about this socket.

Can I plug my cell phone AC charger into this and charge my phone? I don't have a car charger, but the wall plug would fit into the socket perfectly.

Would the DC/AC difference or the 12/120 voltage difference prevent it from working? Somebody school me, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom