What is this part called??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I am a new owner of an 84 FJ60 2F in Idaho Falls and this is my first post ever. I was tracking down an exhaust leak and noticed I had a huge one! There is a pipe that comes off the exhaust from under the fj behind the motor that comes back up toward the motor. It has a round open end on it and looks like it should somehow connect to I'm guessing the EGR system. What is the part called I'm missing? I've searched the EGR diagrams and the exhaust diagrams online and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Hey I am a new owner of an 84 FJ60 2F in Idaho Falls and this is my first post ever. I was tracking down an exhaust leak and noticed I had a huge one! There is a pipe that comes off the exhaust from under the fj behind the motor that comes back up toward the motor. It has a round open end on it and looks like it should somehow connect to I'm guessing the EGR system. What is the part called I'm missing? I've searched the EGR diagrams and the exhaust diagrams online and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
Photo(s), please.

These are the main parts of the EGR system

image.png

assuming you are de-smogged? the line comes up from the exhaust right before the cat and has a check valve on it and then a rubber hose that connects to a unit on the inner fender.
if de-smogged, remove the check valve and thread a brass pipe cap onto the threads to cap it off, can't remember what size.

pics always help.

3_puppies is describing part of the Air Injection system. Technically if the check valve is still attached to the front end of the pipe, exhaust should be leaking out. But if it is leaking, and your truck has the AI removed or disabled, plugging is better than replacing the check valve.

1631281840868.png

1631281873493.png

Thank you for your replies. I am not desmogged. It looks like it is that check valve that I am missing. So you guys would recommend capping that? Does it make any difference on how ot runs?

Thank you for your replies. I am not desmogged. It looks like it is that check valve that I am missing. So you guys would recommend capping that? Does it make any difference on how ot runs?
If you remove or disable the EGR system you might notice more pinging in the engine during acceleration. This is because the distributor in stock form has an advance curve tuned to work with the EGR.

If you remove or disable the EGR system you might notice more pinging in the engine during acceleration. This is because the distributor in stock form has an advance curve tuned to work with the EGR.
Since it hasnt had a check valve on it the whole time, and it runs great, think I should just cap it and pull the EGR system off? I was wanting to do that sometime down the road anyways.

Since it hasnt had a check valve on it the whole time, and it runs great, think I should just cap it and pull the EGR system off? I was wanting to do that sometime down the road anyways.

If you live somewhere that removing the smog equipment is not an issue (you have no yearly smog check) and you have no plans to sell the truck any time soon (where desmogging might limit your buyer list)...then going the desmog route does help remove the engine bay clutter. Best to pull everything off and keep in a box should you ever change your mind. There are some kits out there to replace the smog pump with an idler pulley and threaded inserts to plug the air injector holes.

As you pull things off its good to try and save them and try not to mangle pieces as many bits are no longer available or very hard to find.

Looking closer, now that I know what I'm looking at, it looks like the top half of that check valve broke off and the hose above it cut. I'll have to figure out which way I want to go. I appreciate everyone's help. The previous owners must have loved the smell of CO.

An FYI....iif you are going to keep the EGR and fix it so its functional again you probably want to go through all of the connections. There are some gaskets that can fail over time and a few threaded connections that can loosen up and result in leaks.

The AI system doesn't impact how the truck runs at all. It's job is to add oxygen in the form of air into the exhaust stream so the catalytic converter can work properly. If you are going to migrate towards a desmogged engine, then you can cap it and, if you want, remove the rest of that system. If you want to keep your smog working properly, then you should get a new check valve and connect it up. I'm not sure what will happen to an oxygen-starved catalytic converter over time.

Removing the EGR will effect how the engine runs and you will have to make other adjustments or chanes to get the engine to run as good or better without than with. Read up on the desmog threads to get some more background.

The AI system doesn't impact how the truck runs at all. It's job is to add oxygen in the form of air into the exhaust stream so the catalytic converter can work properly. If you are going to migrate towards a desmogged engine, then you can cap it and, if you want, remove the rest of that system. If you want to keep your smog working properly, then you should get a new check valve and connect it up. I'm not sure what will happen to an oxygen-starved catalytic converter over time.

Removing the EGR will effect how the engine runs and you will have to make other adjustments or chanes to get the engine to run as good or better without than with. Read up on the desmog threads to get some more background.
Ok cool thanks for the clarification. I think I'm going to pull my AI system. I have been trying to take the broken check valve off and can't get a good angle on it to get any leverage on it. I'm thinking I need to drop the exhaust to get it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom