What is this?: License Plate “tang”? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
CD758887-8D6D-41D9-8FD6-CF7230A0EB78.jpeg
B06DDE29-A290-44D8-AC1D-1F2DF727AB53.jpeg
I am cleaning up the rear license plate holder for my ‘78 FJ40 and am at a complete loss as to what purpose the “finger” of metal that is welded onto the back of the frame is supposed to serve. I recall that it had a very tired insulation type of wrap on the end of it which I removed to get at the rust. I thought initially it might be a ground point and so I left it paint free, but now that seems…pointless. Is it an anti-vibration contact of someone sort? I’m not even sure it is supposed to curl the way I have it shown in the photo, yet the metal seems to have some sort of memory of that shape. A little help is appreciated.

As I intend to make this bracket easy to mount with or without the top, my current plan is to attemp a ground wire coming off one of the lamp housings once I ensure that there is a clean and protected spot to connect.

I think you are exactly right. I was coated with a crusty wrap before I painted it. What threw me is that it is so far away from the entry points for the two wires through the barn door. I guess it is a vestige from an earlier design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom