What is this &*$# in the way of my future clutch pedal? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So with the stay at home orders I am doing like many of you and wrenching on the truck to stay busy. As some of you know I am in the process of the switchover from the A440F to the H42. Moving right along today I was beginning the pedal bucket switch and found this piece of crap right in my way. I am referring to the pinkish purple plastic box. It is a mass of tangled wires. I even found one set of wires leading to something under the truck near the driveshaft. It looks likes a real shade tree mechanic mess. Anyone seen anything like this before?
IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

It's not factory whatever it is. Alarm kit? Cruise control?

Your wife's GPS tracker on you!

Cruisermatt! You were right! I went back out after reading your reply and sue enough I was able to follow some wiring to what I thought was a defunct Cruise Control switch. Now, that being said can I just simply remove the whole system? I never plan on using it, ever. Plus I can use the spot on the dash for a switch for lights or something.

i thought so because of the apparent speed sensor on the driveshaft (not sure how it would pickup signal from smooth tubing, maybe there was a clamped on reluctor wheel at one point). Do what I do, start ripping stuff out and see if the truck still runs/doesn't catch fire.

i thought so because of the apparent speed sensor on the driveshaft (not sure how it would pickup signal from smooth tubing, maybe there was a clamped on reluctor wheel at one point).

These kits have a magnet that gets tie wrapped to the drive shaft. Probably thrown off long ago.

I've got an '89 Grand Wagoneer, and when I saw the first picture, the box looks exactly like the cruise control box on it, with two exceptions. First, it is bright yellow. Second, Jeep did not believe in mounting tabs. Instead, the factory used duct tape(SOP) to attach it under the dash, above the transmission hump...

When you remove that cruise control module and wiring, beware that it's tapped into various hot and cold power wires, and a brake pedal light switch. So, remove judiciously and repair any hacked wires, and then be sure your brake lights still work. There may also be an inductor coil attached to an ignition wire that was supposed to sense a runway condition and kick out the cruise control. Obviously, the magnetic pickup sensor on the driveshaft and all related wiring can be removed.

I removed all as carefully as I could and saw where there were wires leading to the brake light switch and one brown wire spliced into the fuse panel. My brake lights still work but now no start. All the lights light, but no love from the starter. To be fair this morning before I began the removal of the pink box I was going to move the truck but the starter turned so slowly that it wouldn't fire the truck up. I thought it was a weak battery from not driving it for 3 weeks now. I charged the battery while doing the removal and noticed it really didn't need a charge as it was at full charge in about 20 minutes. I guess since I am taking the A440 out the starter should be no big deal!

no start or no crank?

hmm. start checking resistance and continuity on your battery cables, especially your main grounds, make sure your battery terminals and connections are in good shape. Sounds unrelated to your cruise control removal, especially since you said it was slow cranking before. I don't think it's the starter itself. Sounds like a classic bad main connection.
If your battery cables are all original and in poor or questionable shape I'd highly recommend this heavy duty battery cable kit. It's a great deal

Great cables, well built high quality but That kit isn't 100% complete. It's missing the Transfer Case to Body ground cable. Most
parts stores sell a 15" replacement battery cable that'l do the trick.
:beer:

Great cables, well built high quality but That kit isn't 100% complete. It's missing the Transfer Case to Body ground cable. Most
parts stores sell a 15" replacement battery cable that'l do the trick.
:beer:
Wait, people actually use that ground?? Mine's been gone for years! :lol:

@ToyotaMatt just came out with a new, complete cable kit:

A very shoddily-installed cruise control kit. I have the same kit. Dug into it several years ago and it seems it was made by Dana in the late 80s. From what I could find out it looks like mine was either a dealer install when the truck was new, or a very well done aftermarket install. Where the sensor is sitting near your driveshaft there would've been a small magnet secured to the shaft. This acted as the speed sensor for the CC kit. Mine is in place and still works very well. If yours hasn't worked, dollars to donuts that's the reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom