What is this hole in my head, and why is oil spurting out of it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_2950.jpg
IMG_2949.jpg

See the ballpoint pen stuck in the head above the #5 sparkplug? The right (front of car) end of the pen is shoved into a perfectly smooth hole, and oil's splattering out of it. I was able to drive home by shoving the pen in there. Somehow it stuck.

I can't for the life of me figure out what was supposed to be in that hole. Was it a machining passage that was then plugged shut and my plug fell out?

Thanks,

Chris

Oil Galley plug....you are lucky you caught it. Tap and plug it. Lots of threads on it.

Oil Galley plug....you are lucky you caught it. Tap and plug it. Lots of threads on it.
Thanks. I will search, now that I know what to search. Yeah, I came back to the parking spot after driving about a mile round trip earlier, and saw oil under the engine. Popped the hood, pretty obvious. I've been searching all kids of stuff about freeze plugs and oil passage, but never found anything. Thanks again.

go to the FAQ in the 60s forum. Under common problems.

Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway ;)) , don't drive until that plug is repaired. You risk seizing the engine, from low to no oil pressure.

That passage is there from machining the oil circuit for oil to the rockers. Toyota just stuck a lead plug in there to seal it. After 35 years, it don't hold so tight, anymore ...

Amazing the original press in plug lasted this long. In 1989 I fixed a galley plug for a guy who had a '85 FJ60. Engine was only four years old & already blew the plug.

Thanks everyone, yeah, feeling lucky about it. No question of driving it, I don't need moar oil slicks in the driveway. The pen is holding pretty well though, for moving it around the yard. My last trip, when it blew the plug, was about 1/4 mile back from lunch. I just had a shop fix a bunch of seals in the transfer case a couple weeks ago, so I've been looking for drips every time I park it. None at lunch. A pint on the ground at work later. Must have blown really close to work. Not even showing any missing on the dip stick yet.

A couple thoughts I have after reading all the threads: I'm going to try 2X 8mm x 1.25 set screws with red locktite (belt and suspenders) so I don't have to drill. Also, tapping in cast iron typically needs no lubricant, for the most part, as there's so much graphite in the iron already. But it's all oily anyway.

(The papermate pen just happened to fit well, and the taper from where the cap jams on worked as a good wedge. Made it home 5 miles, watching the mirror for oil tracks at every stop...)

Wait a sec, is the head aluminum? It's dirty as f____, looks like cast iron. (yeah, I'm not up to speed on these engines, I apologize, and too lazy to search around. Got 4 other broken cars I'm working on, this is supposed to be the back up, just runs rig).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom