What is this hole at the top of the transfer case rear extension housing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking at my t-case closely to understand where it's seeping oil and noticed there is an opening at the top of the rear extension housing.

I can't make a good picture, therefore reusing a view of someone else's t-case:

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 11.38.27 AM.png

I am not sure how deep it goes but there is definitely an opening and it does not make sense to me. I wonder if something should be there and is missing.

Will appreciate any help identifying if this is normal or not.

The diagram at Partsouq lists “SEAT, RELIEF VALVE (FOR TRANSFER EXTENSION REAR HOUSING)” in this area. But I don’t know any details on the purpose of the relief valve.

The diagram at Partsouq lists “SEAT, RELIEF VALVE (FOR TRANSFER EXTENSION REAR HOUSING)” in this area. But I don’t know any details on the purpose of the relief valve.
Thank you!

I did try poking it with the pencil and it only goes ~half-inch inside - so it's not a hole into the inside of the housing. It also does look like something is installed into the housing at this place - in other words, it's an opening in the housing, which has something with an opening installed into it.

Tcase is not splash lubricated.....it has an Oil Pump, so requires/incorporates a relief valve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom