What is this blower motor for. Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just purchased a 1985 L/C FJ60 thats been in the same family since new. After driving it home, I noticed what seemed like an electric fan running after shutting the engine off which was a blower motor, in the engine compartment, on the driver side fender well. This thing stays on for up to 20 minutes before shutting off. Does anyone know what the purpose of this thing is for? It appears to just blow air into the engine compartment:confused:

Carb cooling fan. Yours works.

HA HA don't feel bad I am nube too had no clue what it was lol lol mine works too

It's to make sure the hamsters are not too hot....

Ikid. :D

Cooling fan cuz with all the wonderful smog crap the USA versions came with the heat really builds up and can cause vapor lock the next time you try and start the truck. Be thankful. They almost always have died by now then you have to fix 'em.

Thanks for the speedy response. I never would have guessed that one in a million years. Shouldn't it have some type of hose or fitting that directs the air closer to the carb? I thouht it was to clear fumes out of the engine compartment or something like that.

No, it's just a bulk blower to quickly reduce under-hood temps. Overseas versions do not have it. If it stops working, it's usually because the wire to the temp sensor, under the rear part of the exh manifold, has fried because of it's proximity said manifold. Easy fix if that happens.

Good luck and good luck with your new toy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom