What is this ball like place in block? New oil leak spot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 LC, fixed several oil leaks with help from the threads. This past weekend changed the oil pump cover gasket again just to be sure gasket didn't go in wrong. It really looks like the oil is coming out of a round hole with a ball bearing plugging it.

See picture, green arrow points to location. What is this? and has anyone removed? had a leak from there?

Other thing that is odd the leak seems to be more after turning off the engine, not while the oil is pressurized.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure someone here will know what it is.
-Leo

LC.jpg

Already replaced dist. o-ring. Really looks and dry from form dist. now.

Anyone? for the "plug" at the green arrow? Maybe like a freeze plug from drilling the oil passages?

"Hole with ball bearing plugging it" would be an oil gallery plug. Are you CERTAIN that the leak is from there?

Leaks from there would be difficult to fix with the engine still in the car. I have not looked, but if there is room to thread the upper part of the hole you could install a pipe plug to seal it.

I would wash off the area and then run the engine and watch for drips. If you cannot find and see the oil dripping down then you cannot repair the leak.

What was the outcome of this? I have this same issue

Can you post a close-up photo of the area in question?

Last edited:
I talked to Dan at american toyota today. I am trying to figure out how to get the ball out of the hole so I can tap it and plug it. It does not appear to be accessible from inside the engine. Dan said this is part is not available and may require a block.... UGH.. I will try to take a pic.

If IRC Dan had a leak in the same area. It was nothing short of a PITA to repair if I am correct. If I am correct I would just pull the engine and redo everything from the head gasket, oil pan arches etc. In essence, rebuild the engine if you have to go that far...

Dan's was on the passenger side. Mine is on the Drivers side.

Here is where the Oil is leaking from. It appears someone else tried to fix the leak by spreading Silicone around the gasket for the Timing chain Cover. We have seen Oil coming from around the ball....... See Picture Below

oil Leak.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom