What is this annoying sound? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't figure this one out. I'm a Tenderfoot for sure though, have only owned my HJ61 for a few months, and have a lot to learn from a mechanical standpoint. Lately, it's started making a whining sound, but I can't figure out what it is so I can fix it. Sounds a bit like Mickey Mouse thrown into a washing machine. My wife says it sounds like Geddy Lee.

Anyway, here is a video:

The frustrating thing is, I can't pop the hood and look to see where the sound is coming from. The rhythmic squeaking only happens when the vehicle is in motion, and it slows and gets quieter as speed slows down to a stop. It isn't constant or consistent, sometimes you can hear it, and other times it shuts off completely. I'd say it's making the sound about half the time I am driving. Sometimes the squeals are closer together and higher pitched, other times it's slower and not as high pitched - but in general, it's squealier and louder the faster you go, but it's just not completely consistent. Makes no difference if AC button is turned on or off, or blowing or not. Makes no difference if vehicle is in gear or in neutral, makes no difference if RPMs are revving high or idling low - nothing seems to affect the sound other than just whether or not the car's moving.

It seems to me like the sound is coming from the center of the car, near or under the dashboard - but that could be totally wrong, it's really hard to tell from the inside.

I could pop the hood and drive around like that, maybe stick one of my kids inside the engine bay to look around and pinpoint the source of the sound for me, but that doesn't seem like the safest idea.

Thanks for any suggestions or help. I am planning to go on a trip early next week, and would really like to figure this out first.

If it has an air pump (smog pump) mine sounded a lot like that before I desmogged.

It might be the speedo cable that attaches to the back of the speedometer. Try spraying it with some lubrication.

I second this. I had a squeal that increased with speed. Only happened under 35 mph though and was pretty consistent (worse in the mornings though). I replaced it and no more squeal.

OK. Sounds like I definitely need to check the speedometer cable. How to I access it? Is it from the front/dashboard, or behind? I tried searching for this info but can't find anything specific on exactly what you need to do to access the cable.

Edit: After further searching I have found the following comments, looks like I can just pull it out. Posting the comments here to help others that may come across this thread in the future.

"Unhook it from the tranny and it will slide right out. You can lube it and push it back in, might save you some $$$. It definitely won't come out from the dash side."

"If it just needs to be lubed up disconnect it at the TC pull the cable out of the casing clean and lube it and slide back in, I have just done it works like a charm now no squel or needle jump."

"White lithium based grease or the multi-purpose grease you use to lube your chassis. to lube, you will want to pull the speedo cable (turns the odometer too) from the cable housing and grease it up. can be done from the connection point at the tranny. unscrew from there, pull out, lube, and reinsert making sure that the gauge cluster end of the cable fully seats into it's housing."

Last edited:
That’s a good point, it’s been a long time since I had a squeaking speedo but it’s terrible and clearly comes from right behind the cluster.

Well it's definitely the speedometer cable! I unhooked it, drove around for a bit, and the sound is gone. Gonna lube with dry powder graphite and reconnect, hopefully that makes a difference.

That seems to have taken care of it! Reconnected, drove around for 5 miles or so, and no sound! Thanks everyone.

Time for some more adventuring!

car.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom