What is this, and why won't it shut off?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving home today, ABS light came on. Got home, shut off engine, went inside. Came back out 10 minutes later, and hear something humming under the hood. This sucker is still running, getting hot, and not smelling too good. Key is completely out of the ignition, I had to pull the battery to shut it off.

Is this the ABS pump? Anyone ever had this happen? Can I simply pull the fuse for ABS? Should I start with beer or vodka tonight?

pump.jpg

Yep, that's the ABS control unit [not quite sure what it's called without getting my FSM out]. If it's getting hot, I'd suggest pulling the fuse or the connector from it to the harness. I don't think the fail mode for the ABS if fire, but better safe than sorry before a tech can look at it.

ABS actuator.

Something is stuck someplace, I know not where.

Was all the rest of the truck "off" with the battery connected? Dash lights?

Yes Dan - everything was off, and the key was out of the ignition. I thought that was quite strange.

What happens if you reconnect the battery? Does the actuator start up again?

Maybe abs relay sticking? I don't know if that would make the pump continuously run tho. Also possible you have a short to ground somewhere that's completing the circuit for the pump. Did you try reconnecting the battery like Dan suggested?

I just rehooked the battery up, and the ABS actuator didn't start running.

So I removed the ABS fuse, started it and ran it around the block, then shut it back down and replaced the fuse. ABS light went out, and the actuator turned off with the car. So maybe it was just a fluke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom