What is this and what does it mean? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Irish Reiver

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Threads
Helping a mudder with his baselining. Found this metal piece which is jammed between the head and block. Would a head gasket let go like this? Truck is running well.
Any ideas?

20220108_115505.jpg

Blyme. Judging by the little upturned bit in the middle there, safe to assume none of that was ever between the head and block.
Looks like a corner of a window screen frame. lol

Definitely not OEM. Agreed. Window frame. Is it completely sandwiched in? I’d use fipg in gobs or a cardboards gasket before I’d use that. Crazy. I’d say it’s time for a head gasket though.

Yep. It is definitely sandwiched between the head and block. Obviously I don't want to tug it out. There almost looks like there is some kind of FIPG or other sealant there also. Not sure what you guys mean by window frame though. Might need the US to Irish translation for that :)

Should I be telling the dude to budget for a head rebuild?

That's part of the outer support of the HG that got peeled off during installation during a replacement.

If it ain't leaking, don't touch it. Don't pull on it or tweak it at all.

Probably a piss poor job of a HG replacement.

Yep. It is definitely sandwiched between the head and block. Obviously I don't want to tug it out. There almost looks like there is some kind of FIPG or other sealant there also. Not sure what you guys mean by window frame though. Might need the US to Irish translation for that :)

Should I be telling the dude to budget for a head rebuild?
Probably should start a fund and parts gathering for when that day comes.

Interesting. Hadn’t considered that. Good point guys.

Thanks guys. This make people relax a little. At least it isn't part of the compression areas or the water jacket. Hopefully no imminent failure. Now he just needs to figure why the timing cover was removed....

This, in part, is why I do most of the maintenance on my vehicles now. What a JA. Now, if that was the PO or the mechanic they always took it to, what else it rigged? Not that I am OCD (unless you ask the wife or son) but, unless it is a bush fix, DO IT RIGHT! Damn, now you got my blood up and I come here to relax... :bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom