What is this, and I tried the search (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been trying to find out why my fj60 will not idle without the choke. I have found that if I disconnect this hose the vehicle will idle alright, but I am not sure what this does.
If it is connected to the carb the vehicle will not run, but if I take it off it idles fine. then If I put my finger over it for even a second the engine dies. Also does anyone know of a good mechanic in Salt Lake City, Utah

emissionslines1.jpg

What you have circled is the vacuum source for the choke opener. This is the lower vacuum diaphragm on the right side of the carb in the picture above. The choke opener opens the choke when the engine reaches temperature. Pulling the hose off the metal tube will (1) close the choke when the engine is hot AND if the choke knob is pulled and (2) will introduce air into the intake manifold, leaning out the fuel/air mixture. Putting your finger over the metal tube will stop the vacuum leak you are creating by pulling the hose off the metal tube. I don't know why your truck won't run, though.

However, search for deceleration fuel cut. This is a solenoid valve that cuts off fuel to the slow circuit during deceleration. The failed postion of this solenoid valve is to close off the circuit. So if the solenoid valve is broken or the wire is bad, the truck won't idle. The green electrical connector to the right of your white circle is the connector for the solenoid valve. Follow the wire around the backside of the carb to find the valve. If you can provide 12V to the valve (run a jumper wire from the battery) you can force it to be on. You should feel or hear the valve (click) open (try this with the truck off first). Then try running the truck with the valve forced open to see if it helps.

Since you are not afraid to go poking around in your engine compartment you should purchase an emissions manual for the 2F. It explains how all the emissions systems work and has procedures for testing each system and each component in the system.

Last edited:
I have a factory emissions manual, but I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I checked the fuse and it was still good. I also checked the fuel cutoff switch, and it works. I am not sure what else to do. Does any one know a good cruiser mechanic in the salt lake city area, or can someone else give a suggestion.

Another question

The choke opener goes to the bvsv and then back to the intake manifold. I pulled the hose off where it goes into the intake manifold and it seems that there is fuel in the part that screws into the intake manifold where the hose from the choke opener goes in. What would cause there to be fuel there?
thanks

Another question

The choke opener goes to the bvsv and then back to the intake manifold. I pulled the hose off where it goes into the intake manifold and it seems that there is fuel in the part that screws into the intake manifold where the hose from the choke opener goes in. What would cause there to be fuel there?
thanks

You are talking about the part labeled gas filter on 3-3? right? It is basically a 3 way connection with a filter in it. If you unscrew it there might be some gas there since it is the intake manifold. You have the original vacuum lines? If you want to work on it, then I would change out all the vacuum lines one at a time and check the book and make sure everything is hooked up right. It does not take too long and you will become familiar with the system. You can buy 40 ft from McMaster Carr or go OEM if you wish. Do a search for vacuum line and McMaster Carr. Try blocking all the lines coming from that filter and see if your idle changes or improves. I got 40 ft and had a little extra from McMaster Carr.

I'll try and pull the gas filter and see if that helps. Do those get clogged? I just rebuilt the carb because the gas tank had a lot of rust in it. I put in another cleaner tank from a donor rig. I was wondering if the problems might be from rust in the gas filter.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll try and pull the gas filter and see if that helps. Do those get clogged? I just rebuilt the carb because the gas tank had a lot of rust in it. I put in another cleaner tank from a donor rig. I was wondering if the problems might be from rust in the gas filter.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I am talking about the gas filter in the smog manual on page 3-3 that threads into the intake manifold. You talking about the fuel filter which is on the passenger side fender that comes off the lines from the fuel tank? Check your fuel filter and see if it looks brown. Some of them are clear and you can see what it catches. I would install a new fuel filter if you had a bad tank and now got the new tank installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom