What is this and how do I make it stop leaking oil. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a transfer that is leaking gear oil from two locations. I think I can replace the PTO gasket no problem, but I'm not understanding the FSM diagram to know what is needed in repairing the other leak.

Looks like the idler gear shaft o-ring might be leaking? Does the transfer have to come off to get at this seal? Please tell me no...
IMG_1908.jpg

I think if you pull the retainer, and get a big set of vise grips on the idler you might be able to wiggle it out enough to replace the posterior o-ring. DO NOT pull it out too far.

Good luck, cheers

x2.
If the idler shaft comes out too far, you'll be dropping the case and splitting it open to reset the gear that fell down.

Looks to me like the seal between the tranny and transfer is leaking anyway (hose in the fill plug), so you might as well pull it all apart anyway.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot. So the old o-ring will fit out, and the new one will fit back through the hole it's meant to seal? Should I maybe buy a spare or two in case of damage? And how far is too far? I mean, how much room do I have to work with on the idler shaft outside of the housing, between the housing and the o-ring seat? Like millimeters or centimeters scale?

The return hose predates a new seal that was installed when the transmission was last pulled ~2 years ago... just left it on there for when the new seal fails.

Pull it out just far enough to get the O ring. Any farther and the thrust washer behind the idler gear drops into the case. The leak between the trans and T-case (if there actually is one) is super common. The hose that is draining any potential overfill back into the t-case is great preventive care, I would leave it even if there isn't a leak right now, there will be one day.

Yes, buy a spare o-ring in case you knick it during the install. They are super cheap and not worth having to drive back to the dealer or auto store to get one. pm me with your email and I can send you the pages that have the exploded view of the tcase showing this assembly. Or you can download the chasis manual.

I have the same leak but my transfer is taking oil from the tranny I think causing the oli level to get too high in the transfer. I think even with a new O ring it will still push past.

Deadrift...how effective was replacing your O ring and how much room to spare did you have on that idler shaft...di you pull it maybe just another O ring thickness past in order to have decent access...I'm
worried about dropping that idler washer into the case.

@deaddrift were you successful in pulling idler shaft out a bit to access and replace the O ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom