What is this and can I remove it... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's an eyesore but it could be useful, it stopped this cruiser from plowing into a tree.

@Mauser please be a good sport :D

50080317278_ba4f07cc81_h.jpg

In all seriousness, its function is to reduce exhaust drone at idle, some members have taken it off without any noticeable difference, on my 2006, it's slightly drony at idle when truck is warmed, goes away if AC is on and the idle is raised by 100rpms. IDC, i'd go deaf before driving around with a kidney hanging out like that.

The cheap solution to the eyesore complaint is to remove it. I'll offer the opposite solution and say leave it on and buy some sliders to hide it. :)

I can't even recall a time I saw that thing on either of my 100's, but sliders went on as the boards came off.

What is this? It looks like just some type of counter weight... it is on the passenger side under the passenger front door attached to the frame. Looks like just two bolts to take out to remove it...can I take it off and not impact any safety or performance?

Thanks!

DeskView attachment 2362338

The answer is one of the following:
A) 285/75R16.​
B) Unused AHC connectors.​
C) Harmonic Dampener.​
For some odd reason, I don't think you've seen/read this yet :)

I left the flux capacitor in place on my rig. Never know when I might need to go back to the future.

Removing it will affect your safety and high speed stability man! Like a wise man once said there's only two levers you need to know around here... Lever A and Lever ****ing B.

Removing it will affect your safety and high speed stability man! Like a wise man once said there's only two levers you need to know around here... Lever A and Lever f***ing B.
i'm lost

Removing it will affect your safety and high speed stability man! Like a wise man once said there's only two levers you need to know around here... Lever A and Lever f***ing B.
I get sarcasm and all but why post this BS? The op might think you’re serious.

To answer the question, it is a harmonic balancer. The Toyota engineers (the ones behind the curtain) added it to counteract harmonic resonance in the frame from the exhaust, sounds and metal do weird things at time, and this was one of those Toyota things they did to make it more pleasant to drive. You can certainly remove it. Will you notice it? Well, that depends on a lot of things - skids, exhaust, sliders, etc. I have about a dozen other things on my truck that make a lot of noise (roof rack, sliders, bumpers, skid plates, etc.) and I survive.

- Mark

it’s for finding your inner kwijibo.

I would say take it off and send it to me, my exhaust drone at idle used to drive me crazy, but weirdly it disappeared about 6 months ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom