What is the top speed on highway with snow in 4L setting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure why you would want to be in 4L at highway speeds, but around 15 MPH max.

What highway are you riding in 4L? Your truck is full-time 4wd anyway. Can't be that snow covered of a highway unless you have bald tires and no clue how to drive that you would need to drop it in low. I wheel in high range all the time and keep up with anyone one the trails in mud, rocks, snow, you name it.

I don't know why I would either . I just though it I was going up a hill and it started spinning I would put it in low to get up the hill. Where I live in Ky, on Danial Boone national forest parkway , from the bottom of the hill to the top can be over a mile going up hill at a angle . Thanks for your help .

I think the parkway was closed yesterday thats how bad it can get here some hills are really steep . I have good road tires on it ,With out a ton of snow covered road experience. I grow up in the mountains my whole life with out any wrecks so far traveling on old 80 from Hyden to Hazard with our any wrecks in snow covered roads . I haven't had this truck very long and I was going to let my cousin use it today to get to work and I wanted to tell him if he had to use low not to go over a certain speed . I just didn't know what that speed was. But thanks again for the help .

Any more pics of your rig, or is that photoshopped?

That thing looks interesting...

One would think when the rev limiter is hitting that would tell you the truck can't go any faster...

I think the parkway was closed yesterday thats how bad it can get here some hills are really steep . I have good road tires on it ,With out a ton of snow covered road experience. I grow up in the mountains my whole life with out any wrecks so far traveling on old 80 from Hyden to Hazard with our any wrecks in snow covered roads . I haven't had this truck very long and I was going to let my cousin use it today to get to work and I wanted to tell him if he had to use low not to go over a certain speed . I just didn't know what that speed was. But thanks again for the help .

On snow covered roads you should be in the highest gear possible without bogging down the engine.. There are many reasons for this but primarily you want it in the highest gear to reduce torque to the tires.. The stronger the torque, the higher chance of slippage... Also, just before you come to a stop, lift it into neutral. That will prevent being pushed through the stop... Can't say how many times I've seen the front tires locked up on a vehicle ( rrd ) as the drive axle just keeps pushing them through the stop... ( btw, 25 plus years driving in Canadian winters, and 40 plus years in the nor'east snowbelts )). Good luck !!

the only time I would use 4 low on the highway is if there was well over a foot of snow on the road and I needed to push through. If you need to limit the speed you are driving in 4low, you don't need to be in 4low.

Something not brought up, he probably doesn't have a center diff lock button so he may need to go into 4low in order to lock the diff.

The top speed is WOT. I think I hit 45 earlier this week.

The top speed is WOT. I think I hit 45 earlier this week.

Agree, with 37s and 4.88s, I can run well over 40 in low range, 4th gear. Cruises nice at 30+ on trails with lots of open space between challenges. I really like the compression braking while running this way. John

On the highway, you're better off staying out of Low range. Too much wheelspin.

What you actually need under such circumstances is a bit counter-intuitive. Use the 2nd Gear Start button on the transmission. That way you don't go to 1st gear and spend a lot of time spinning. Usually starting in 2nd pretty much solves that, unless it's ice underneath...then you should get someplace safe unless it's a real emergency.

If you're driving along and encounter a patch suddenly, you can get much the same effect for slow speed work by shifting into 2nd gear. However, if you do that it will hold in 2nd. With 2nd Gear Start, it upshifts to 3rd as normal, so much better for getting down the highway.

Stay in 4 High range when doing this. If you truck doesn't have the "magic" button, then consider getting that, too, as it allows you to run with the CDL locked in High range, which often works better in snow. Not always, YMMV, but another good option to have that's easy to get on the truck if you don't have it already.

Last edited:
D. O. N. T. loan out this vehicle. Drive him where he has to go. You'll be glad you did when it's not wrecked or in a ditch or ???

Thanks everyone for your help again . I'm just learning about 4wheel drive and don't know when to use the low or the rr and ff knob on the left of the steering wheel I think they are lockers .I have been reading all I can on this forum but I can't find out a lot about just what circumstances to use the lockers as far as I know right now I should only use the lockers in you on a dirt road with out turning your wheel to get you unstuck. So I'm not touching that knob unless I can't move at all. Crusha that is a real photo I got it off the web . I just like the photo . I will try to find more photos and send then to your message place on here. Thanks greentruck I was wondering about the 2nd gear button . I'll just leave it in hi until the snow stops me from moving. Rubicondon53 are you saying if I ever do need to put it into low I need to be moving shift from drive to neutral and while I'm still rolling shift it into low . The last time I put it into low just to see if it was going to work I stopped then put it into low and it seemed to work that way .

Thanks everyone for your help again . I'm just learning about 4wheel drive and don't know when to use the low or the rr and ff knob on the left of the steering wheel I think they are lockers .I have been reading all I can on this forum but I can't find out a lot about just what circumstances to use the lockers as far as I know right now I should only use the lockers in you on a dirt road with out turning your wheel to get you unstuck. So I'm not touching that knob unless I can't move at all. Crusha that is a real photo I got it off the web . I just like the photo . I will try to find more photos and send then to your message place on here. Thanks greentruck I was wondering about the 2nd gear button . I'll just leave it in hi until the snow stops me from moving. Rubicondon53 are you saying if I ever do need to put it into low I need to be moving shift from drive to neutral and while I'm still rolling shift it into low . The last time I put it into low just to see if it was going to work I stopped then put it into low and it seemed to work that way .

Good info the FAQ (sticky thread at the top)

http://www.lcool.org/technical/diffs/diffs.html
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/differences-in-4wd-awd-full-time-4wd.12828/

Top speed in 4L with 'CDL' unlocked 40 mph.

Howard705 this truck has been rolled over and the top is all dented in, but I took out the liner and bent it back pretty good . Its been setting in my dads garage for the last 10 years till he passed away and I bought it from the family to help pay his bills . I just put in a new windshield and changed it from a salvage title to a rebuild and now it ready for the road . He is more like the son I never had . So I would rather him be as safe as he can be in the snow . If he wrecked it but was okay I would be happy and if I can fix it again I'll just fix it . I have 2 lx450's and I'm letting my oldest daughter use the other one till winter is over or she gets a 4x4 of her own . I'm 55 now and I think in my old age I care less about material things and more about there safety. He works about a hour away from where I'm at so I was just going to let him take it and keep it till he got home .
He would never ask to use it , I offered it to him . His job sent out a email to workers that said something like get to work no matter what or people were going to get fired . And it just came a big snow about 10 inches or more and the police were saying not to get on the roads at all. I think that is just awful that they are going workers like that .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom