What is the point of shackle reversal kits? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I'm just looking around and I have seen some kits online, and I think it looks cool, but what are the pros, and cons?

Better approach angle with the reversal, somewhat better road feel ( thats debatable ), after watching many stock set ups and reversed shackle set ups on the same obstacles I would offer the stock configuration shackle location is fine and parts can be upgraded to accomodate and function with 37" + tires, link suspension have the fixed end the same location, it also depends on what set up you are after and driving conditions, capabilities you want.

I'm not sure there's a real advantage on the trail, but there sure is an advantage on the road. With the Shackle Reversal there's a lot less play in the steering at road speeds.

I'm not sure there's a real advantage on the trail, but there sure is an advantage on the road. With the Shackle Reversal there's a lot less play in the steering at road speeds.
hmmmm, interesting. I might have to look into something like this.

I had a shackle reversal on a 45 with 37s and a 4 inch spring under lift. The only thing I did not like about it was stopping. My rig would nose dive significantly when braking. Otherwise it was ok. I don’t think I would go through the effort to convert a 40 if it still had the stock set up.

I had a shackle reversal on a 45 with 37s and a 4 inch spring under lift. The only thing I did not like about it was stopping. My rig would nose dive significantly when braking. Otherwise it was ok. I don’t think I would go through the effort to convert a 40 if it still had the stock set up.
Isn’t there bolt on kits?

it's all hype. likely some advantages on the trail, but none on the road. in theory it should ride better on account of the angles and the way the axles moves under compression...but in practice its not all that. i drove a sr for almost twenty years, then removed it and returned to oem, i didnt feel anything different. the only thing you might notice is if you remove worn out components when you installed the new stuff.

much discussion on this to be had here in the 40 forum if you search back enough

having wheeled Moab in a manual steering '72 40 for 10 years (4" lift on 33s back then) and not ever having encountered a situation where fixed vs. moving shackle location would have made a difference, I don't see much of a point to a shackle reversal :meh:

there are quite a few people who modified their trucks back to OEM shackle configuration here on MUD - search is your friend

with no intent to cut into @lcwizard's (4Plus.com) market on 40 shackle reversals, but honestly, you can a buy a whole lot more useful stuff from him for the money - U-bolt flip kits would be my first suggestion, beefy bumpers, anti-inversion shackles . . .

with no intent to cut into @lcwizard's (4Plus.com) market on 40 shackle reversals, but honestly, you can a buy a whole lot more useful stuff from him for the money - U-bolt flip kits would be my first suggestion, beefy bumpers, anti-inversion shackles . . .
Anti inversion shackels, I’ve seen them. I already have bought some normal ones and now I can’t return them. Is it worth buying another set just for the anti inversions. What are the benefits.

Anti inversion shackels, I’ve seen them. I already have bought some normal ones and now I can’t return them. Is it worth buying another set just for the anti inversions. What are the benefits.
Also what the hell is a u bolt flip kit, this has opens up a Pandora’s box of questions for me.

Also what the hell is a u bolt flip kit, this has opens up a Pandora’s box of questions for me.
Just like it sounds, the u bolts are reversed from stock orientation so they point upwards. Prevents the inevitable rock carnage to stock bolts, another option is a u bolt skit plate to protect them

if you intend to wheel the truck, a U-bolt flip kit will just turn the U-bolt upside down relative to the springs

this will keep the U-bolt ends out of the rocks - look at the spring plates and it will become obvious to you what a flip will achieve

anti-inversion shackles are particularly useful on the rear when ascending or descending obstacles with wide flex

hang onto your normal shackles, they are useful on the front (or you can sell them later)

in this line of trucks, you'll just have to get used to accumulating parts that you may or may not use, depending on where you're going with your truck, ultimately (build-wise, but also trail-wise)

and again, you can always sell extra parts (the Classifieds here are a great forum) - or they will linger in your basement (too much of that going on in my household :doh:)

anti-inversion shackles are particularly useful on the rear when ascending or descending obstacles with wide flex

hang onto your normal shackles, they are useful on the front (or you can sell them later)

in this line of trucks, you'll just have to get used to accumulating parts that you may or may not use, depending on where you're going with your truck, ultimately (build-wise, but also trail-wise)

and again, you can always sell extra parts (the Classifieds here are a great forum) - or they will linger in your basement (too much of that going on in my household :doh:)
So would you recommend using 'normal shackles' on the front, and the anti inversion in the back?

Because the ones I have are 1 1/2 lift, and the anti inversion ones do not list any lift height. I don't want my fj40 to sag near the back.

That’s because you have gained more caster.

I can’t say the SR is a huge improvement in of it self, because of all the new parts that went on with it. In terms of on road handling it’s treated me very well with 2.5 springs and 35” tires. I like that I don’t need all the lift from the springs- the SR gives ~1.5”.
Offroad my truck is planted and I contribute that in part to the SR. Downside is they lower your approach angle for sure.
Would I do it again- probably, but it’d depend on what I was building it for. For reference mine is mostly pounding pavement, but I go to the Utah dessert 1-2 times a year to find my flex.

I am a big fan of shackle reversals . I find most of the time if you don't try to get the springs level ( by pushing the front down and sinking the tube through the frame at the tail end of the spring) then you will get a lot of nose diving on the front end under braking. Where I live we have a lot of heavy logging trucks on asphalt pavement where you inevitably end up with a two track depression in the road. When driving on these roads the tires have a tendency to try to climb out of the "ruts" left by the transport trucks. At speed, I have found without the shackle reversal my trucks have all had issues with high speed wandering . When I build a shackle reversal on the same truck, it goes away.
A lot of guys will tell you that new components ie; steering joints, spring bushings will act the same as the stock configuration but in my opinion they don't. I like to drive fast and most on here will tell you that anything past 70mph in a 40 series is ludicrous but I would beg to differ on that point as well.
I only use my current 40 a a trailer queen so I never drive it on the highway anymore (sticky tires don't wear well) but I would also say a shackle reversal has great benefits as well off the road.
On another note , Toyota for some reason decided to change their shackle position on the 1979 toyota 4wd pickups to a reversed position. We all know how many guys who have cut their teeth in the off-roading world in one of these rigs. They just plain work.
Before anyone gets on here and tries to argue about the points I made, please be aware may points are subjective to my experience and the way I have come to understand how the changes have affected my rigs. Not wanting to argue with anyone about it just providing my experienced opinion.
I would not however use a kit , I would fabricate my own from scratch. I find most of the"kits" create the nose diving issue

I like to drive fast and most on here will tell you that anything past 70mph in a 40 series is ludicrous but I would beg to differ on that point as well.
as do i, 75-80 is not uncommon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom