?? What is the normal coolant temperature (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi:

I am looking for input from the folks running mechanical temp gauges.

I just installed an Autometer Mechanical Temp Gage and wanted to know what the normal operating range is for '60 that has all the stock smog still. I've been running hot on the freeways and still have not figured out the problem. (New Fan Clutch, Hoses and After-market 4 core brass radiator from SOR)

At Approx. 50 - 60 F outside temp I was running:

195 F on the streets
210 F on the flat freeway (no hills)

220 F+ while going over the Sierras from CAL to NV on HWY 80
190 F while going down hill from NV to CAL on HWY 80

When the gauge hit 225 on the trek over the Sierras I turned on both heaters and the temp stayed at 205 as I did not want it to boil over.:eek:

Thanks

Mark

For you non metric types 88*C = 190.4*F

Normal operating temperature is Thermostat temp + or- 10% so 170- 210 is "Normal" If you have your coolant mixed at 50-50 you will not boil over until close to 260*F. Having temps at 220*F while pulling a long grade should not alarm you.

Dynosoar:zilla:

Thanks folks

Mark

Hi:

I am looking for input from the folks running mechanical temp gauges.

I just installed an Autometer Mechanical Temp Gage and wanted to know what the normal operating range is for '60 that has all the stock smog still. I've been running hot on the freeways and still have not figured out the problem. (New Fan Clutch, Hoses and After-market 4 core brass radiator from SOR)

At Approx. 50 - 60 F outside temp I was running:

195 F on the streets
210 F on the flat freeway (no hills)

220 F+ while going over the Sierras from CAL to NV on HWY 80
190 F while going down hill from NV to CAL on HWY 80

When the gauge hit 225 on the trek over the Sierras I turned on both heaters and the temp stayed at 205 as I did not want it to boil over.:eek:

Thanks

Mark

The reason cooling systems are a closed/pressurized system is to raise the normal boiling point of water, which is 212degrees so I don't think it would have boiled over at 225.

Hey Jim C

Mark,
Where is the aftermarket sender unit located on the engine? Just curious...

The guy never answered your question you asked him about where the aftermarket temp gauge was located.

Let's say it's where the stock one use to be...what then? Still the same?

Yes, same.

What if the capillary tubing was say on the driver's side along the finder where all the heat from the exhaust is at and the temp sensor was hooked up to an in-line adapter at the top radiator hose?

Do you think the exhaust would get to the tubing and raise the temp on the mech. gauge?

That's what I think is happening to me. I even put sleeving around the tube and it's still reading high, yet when I use an IR gun, it's running within the normal range.

I checked the mech gauge with boiling water and it's reading right on. The stock temp gauge is working fine and running at half(replaced the fuel gauge to get the temp gauge to read correctly)

Whadya say?

:bang:

JLH, I dunno for sure. Here's how to test:
Put just the gage sender in the boiling water. gage should read 212F.

Now coil the whole capilary into the boiling water. does the temp gage read differently?

If yes, then the capilary is sensitive to ambient and should be carefully routed & insulated.
If no, then reinstall gage and trust readings.

JLH, I dunno for sure. Here's how to test:
Put just the gage sender in the boiling water. gage should read 212F.

Now coil the whole capilary into the boiling water. does the temp gage read differently?

If yes, then the capilary is sensitive to ambient and should be carefully routed & insulated.
If no, then reinstall gage and trust readings.

Yeah, I tested it n boiling water and shielded the tubing. I can only assume it's getting te extra heat from the drivers side exhaust heat.

I know I have an exhaust leak so that can't help.

I removed the whole gauge and tubing yesterday and I'm going to route it along the other side and report my findings.
Thanks!

With it being as hot as it was yesterday(112), it's important to get a real-time reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom