1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the most fun? ATV's or 4x4's??

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Kanab, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Kanab

Kanab

Don't beat me up too bad on this question, but for you guys that do both, which one do you guys think is more fun? What's your favorite ATV and what is your favorite 4x4? The reason I ask is that where I am moving in SW Utah both are big time sports, to the point that you can drive an ATV anywhere in town, and everyone is driving around 4x4's. Only 12K people in the entire county :)

2. bigndn

bigndn

Media:
    Albums:
    For me it depends on a number of things. Distance to trail/wheeling spot, number of people in my rig, difficulty of trail, and group going. For example, for just a short ride with my :princess: and kids around here, we'd likely take the ATV's. Farther away with more gear.........my '40. Hunting with a buddy.......my toy mini truck. All of them have their pro's and con's, so it just depends on the situation. For something all around, I'd have to say 4X4 over the ATV. ATV's are fairly expensive ($5K) for a decent one. My personal favs are Bombardier Outlander XT (400 cc H.O. Rotax motor, CVT trans, select 4X4, winch, racks, etc) and my Toyota mini truck (22R, 5 sp, don't worry too much about bashing it up, soon to include lockers, 4.88s, flatbed). I absolutely love my '40, but have/am investing too much money into it to take it out and bash it up. Just my .02.

3. Jetboy

Jetboy

Media:
    Albums:
    I sold my dirt bike because I like to take my wife and go for a few days and for that purpose the 4X4 is a better vehicle for quick trips and running around the camp a atv is better. they also cover rough ground faster than a 4x4.

I hate to rant, but I think that ATV's in Montana are the worst enemy to offroading we have. They are just so easy for a fat lazy f*** to get on and tear up the forests. Motorcycles take skill and atheletic ability to ride, horses take time and are a PITA in my opinion but I love them anyway, and 4X4's require some dedication and are generaly used slower and kept on the trails. I personaly would like to see atv's be uninvented. There just seems to be a propensity for atv users to go off the trail and cause damage that is unnecessary, and I'm not sure why, but what I do know is when we go to local enviro club meetings to "spy on the enemies" they always have pics of four wheelers somewhere they shouldn't be.

Just my $.02

4. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Depends on how much you value your life and limbs. I used to have great fun tearing around on my Polaris Scrambler. i found I can have a heck of a lot of fun going slow in my truck. It really is astounding nobody died when we used to ride every week. there were some guys that got pretty hurt doing it. Seems every time I go to an off-road park somebody is getting taken to the hospital from an ATV wreck.

5. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

it's hard not to grin on one of these -- and nothing gets bent, jammed or detached --

[​IMG]

e

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Kanab

Kanab

Which is better the 3 wheeler or the 4 wheeler?

7. brian

brian SILVER Star

there's a reason that they don't sell/make 3wheelers anymore....

8. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Eric,
    Is that a Big Red? You want to sell it? I have been on the hunt for an old Big Red.

Zack

9. David Clayton

David Clayton

Hey guy

Nice 250 SX I wanted one of those so bad when I was I kid. :cheers:

10. cruiseroutfit

cruiseroutfit Supporting Vendor Moderator

Sounds familiar ;)

11. calamaridog

calamaridog

ATV's are great. Just as long as you ride in legal areas and stay on trails. Also, don't let kids ride ATV's that are too large for them. Basic common sense and everyone can continue to have fun.

12. Kanab

Kanab

You guys know of any good ATV web sites where I can learn more about them?

13. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

ATVs require even MORE skill to ride properly (if you intend on remaining alive afterwards). The up side is, they've been very instrumental in 'thinning the heard' of the geniuses that pack 2-3 riders on a machine built for one, improper riding techniques, no brain buckets, etc. :eek:

Unfortunately, there are just as many (if not more) 4x4 trucks ditching the trail and tearing up the forests, giving all of us a bad name.

14. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

here's a decent forum -- nice folk -- same format as this group (v-bulletin) --

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

three-wheelers definitely require heightened responsibility when running them -- that's why they don't make them any more -- they're too much for 14 and 16 year olds -- or for adults that get carried away with their thrill factor --

-- it's a 250sx -- full suspension and shaft drive -- when i was 16, i have a 200R or S -- I forget -- these machines are great -- they're a joy to drive and you can steer wih one hand if you're busy doing something else (running dogs, spreading seed, etc) --

:D

e

15. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

here's the install of the factory block heater --

-- the seat had been sent out to be re-covered -- :D

this vehicle was kept ina barn for prob. the last 15 years -- and wasn't working -- my uncle had it to put birds out with, and just forgot about it --

-- i am screwing around with it, and i think she'll be okay -- :D

some interesting things about these -- they use ATF as a lube for the front forks, Honda has a special oil for them b/c the trans. and engine share fluids... what else... they're carb'd -- that's fun when going to full throttle --

-- i recently POR'd the gas-tank -- it wasn't leaking yet, but metal gas tanks are tricky, and the aftermarket options look like something from wal-mart -- the POR seems to do the trick, albeit a bitch of a process --

e

16. brian

brian SILVER Star

all 4stroke bikes and quads use the engine oil in the trans, they also have a wet clutch.

and what's wrong with the carb?

17. Zack1978

Zack1978 SILVER Star

Media:
    Hey everyone,
    I have to chime in here, I have been riding ATV's since I was 12 yrs old (So I have been riding for 14 yrs). I don't consider myself fat or lazy, and I think the riding skill needs to be high. For me there is no better stress release ( well I can think of one other thing) than getting on the quad and hitting the woods for a while.

The only problem at the moment is that my 1992 Yamaha Blaster is in need of work, the bottom line is that it is a 1992 and it just needs a lot of normal but $$$$$ stuff (tires, chain, top end, bearings, brakes, cables, etc). So now I wonder if I should put some cash into it or just dump it. But I have had it since I was 12 , and a new quad is at least 5-6 grand. So I guess it is worth some cash.

Zack

18. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    5-6 grand for a so-so one, 7-8 for a nice one

19. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

nothing's wrong with it -- i love it -- the atc and my small block are the only carb'd vehicles i have -- i just like 'em --

e