What is the longest you have let your 80 idle for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I shut down to refuel only about 50% of the time.
As I understand it, turning off the engine and then turning it back on can lead to damage over time. Longer trips are healthier than around town, stop and go, constantly turning the vehicle on and off. I'm not turning off my 80 unless I know I'll be somewhere for a while. I hate when I have to turn my vehicle on just to park it elsewhere. We have a small driveway and I'm usually the last person to get home. I hate it.

As I understand it, turning off the engine and then turning it back on can lead to damage over time. Longer trips are healthier than around town, stop and go, constantly turning the vehicle on and off. I'm not turning off my 80 unless I know I'll be somewhere for a while. I hate when I have to turn my vehicle on just to park it elsewhere. We have a small driveway and I'm usually the last person to get home. I hate it.
how about newer vehicles? Don't they turn off and on during traffic lights and stop and go traffic? I have never own a 2002 or newer vehicles, so i am a noob!

Petrol maybe. Diesel is best not to be left idling
Huh, I'd always heard diesels can be left idling while consuming minimal fuel compared to gasoline. I don't know much about diesels but I'm surprised to hear the engine wear is greater than petrol at idle.

Truckers will often keep their engine idling overnight and keep it running for days at a time. I also red about this diesel water pump in Africa that was kept running continuously underwater with an oil change every 3 months or so.

how about newer vehicles? Don't they turn off and on during traffic lights and stop and go traffic? I have never own a 2002 or newer vehicles, so i am a noob!
The starter needs to be replaced much earlier on the newer vehicles with that feature. Just another thing designed to get you into a newer vehicle. Planned obsolescence in the name of better (1-2 MPG improvement) fuel economy. It's more of a service item now than our vehicles. The only time my 80 left me stranded was when my original 25 year old starter failed. Knocked slightly on the key and bam started right up. Not the case with these newer vehicles.

I saw this video of a Cummins with nearly a million miles. It was owned by a hotshot driver, so mostly long haul trips, probably very little stop-start usage.

The starter needs to be replaced much earlier on the newer vehicles with that feature. Just another thing designed to get you into a newer vehicle. Planned obsolescence in the name of better (1-2 MPG improvement) fuel economy. It's more of a service item now than our vehicles. The only time my 80 left me stranded was when my original 25 year old starter failed. Knocked slightly on the key and bam started right up. Not the case with these newer vehicles.
Thanks for the clarification. I got stranded out wheeling with a bad starter. Been using a pry bar to knock on the starter method for a few months and finally gave....took the plunge and rebuild the starter contacts and internal parts and it is all good now!!

Huh, I'd always heard diesels can be left idling while consuming minimal fuel compared to gasoline. I don't know much about diesels but I'm surprised to hear the engine wear is greater than petrol at idle.

Truckers will often keep their engine idling overnight and keep it running for days at a time. I also red about this diesel water pump in Africa that was kept running continuously underwater with an oil change every 3 months or so.
A pump or long haul truck engine is not usually sitting at idle for extended periods.

Diesel engines burn cold under no load/ idle conditions.
As load and RPM increase, the amount of fuel burnt increases, and combustion temperature increases. This is different in a petrol engine.
Diesel fuel contains parifin wax that can glaze / varnish the cylinder walls at extended low temp combustion.
In a long haul truck, or industrial engine running under load, combustion temp is high enough to burn off glazing.

My reference to 200series diesel oil consumption issues, this didn't happen with vehicles that worked hard towing boats, trailers etc

A pump or long haul truck engine is not usually sitting at idle for extended periods.

Diesel engines burn cold under no load/ idle conditions.
As load and RPM increase, the amount of fuel burnt increases, and combustion temperature increases. This is different in a petrol engine.
Diesel fuel contains parifin wax that can glaze / varnish the cylinder walls at extended low temp combustion.
In a long haul truck, or industrial engine running under load, combustion temp is high enough to burn off glazing.

My reference to 200series diesel oil consumption issues, this didn't happen with vehicles that worked hard towing boats, trailers etc
Hm, I wonder if semitruck drivers have some way to prevent this varnishing when they idle the truck overnight to keep warm

My 80 at the time had the hand throttle. Would it have been prudent to have fettled the revs up a tad to say 900rpm? Would that have ensured better oil pressure etc or would it just have been wasting gas?

Petrol maybe. Diesel is best not to be left idling
We had a diesel 80 in Afghanistan that would sometimes get started in the morning and shut off when we got back to the compound in the evening. Idol for hours with the A/C blasting. Never had a problem and drove that thing worse than if we had stolen it. I think that 80 is responsible for my love of 80's in general.

My 80 at the time had the hand throttle. Would it have been prudent to have fettled the revs up a tad to say 900rpm? Would that have ensured better oil pressure etc or would it just have been wasting gas?
I think a 1fz in good working order should have ample oil pressure at idle as far as I know. I don’t think a gas engine would benefit from a higher idle, maybe the emissions equipment might factor into it idk.

So I preface this with an admission of being no expert. I'm just an 80 loving jabronie that tries to learn. I mentioned in another thread that my head gasket blew when my 94 was left running in a 100 degree summer mid-day parking lot with the AC blasting. It did. This was 2009-2010. The vehicle made the hour long ride-of-shame on a flatbed from Denver back up to the dealer in Ft Collins who confirmed HG was gone. They said likely caused by overheating. Then second leg of flatbed trip was to my local (at the time trusted) repair shop who 2x'd the diagnosis. The HG work was completed and never a problem since going on 100k miles.

This thread is very interesting to me because I always *assumed* cause and effect with my HG going. But it sounds like I may need to revisit that assumption. I was very busy with work at the time but to my knowledge nothing else was amiss with the vehicle when this happened. But that said I don't know for sure.

But I always wonder about those
I think a 1fz in good working order should have ample oil pressure at idle as far as I know. I don’t think a gas engine would benefit from a higher idle, maybe the emissions equipment might factor into it idk.
The only way it would benefit at higher idle would be to pump out more voltage from the alternator. If you were running any accessories it would be good to bump up the idle slightly.
I was wondering how much diesel it takes to idle and from what I have read it is so minimal. A lot of the info was coming from VW diesels but they were sipping diesel to the tune of about .2 gallons/hr. Some 18 wheelers say it's more like 1g/hr. and it has the potential to glaze the cylinders yada yada yada

I have no idea how long. But I just wanted to recomend the OEM hand throttle for times when I need to idle. When I am running winch or electric air compressor or jump starting another vehicle from idle I will increase rpm. With the OEM hand throttle you just set the idle rpm wherever you want. They are useful and really cheap. Plus it is a fun OEM part that you dont see all the time.

Not mine but about 8 hours after some work fools bogged their 80 and walked away, left it running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom