What is the filter under my glove box, 1996 Land Cruiser??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was feeding an electrical wire through my firewall on the PS, 1996 Land Cruiser. That project went well, but while I was looking up underneath the glove box, I noticed an enclosed filter. It was dirty, of coarse. I suppose I could try to remove it, but I don't want to destroy something that cannot be replaced.
What is it for, can it be cleaned, or replaced. Looked for threads, without any luck, so enlighten me on this mystery on my 80 series?.
Thanks!

Distributor? You should have two hoses on the dizzy cap. One goes to the air box. The other to an air filter inside the cabin connected at the firewall.

I was feeding an electrical wire through my firewall on the PS, 1996 Land Cruiser. That project went well, but while I was looking up underneath the glove box, I noticed an enclosed filter. It was dirty, of coarse. I suppose I could try to remove it, but I don't want to destroy something that cannot be replaced.
What is it for, can it be cleaned, or replaced. Looked for threads, without any luck, so enlighten me on this mystery on my 80 series?.
Thanks!

Hmm, that's interesting as I don't think the 80s have any air filter to speak of unless the PO installed one. Take a pic for us, I'm intrigued!

Distributor? You should have two hoses on the dizzy cap. One goes to the air box. The other to an air filter inside the cabin connected at the firewall.

Really? Since when? ;)

Hmm, that's interesting as I don't think the 80s have any air filter to speak of unless the PO installed one. Take a pic for us, I'm intrigued!
Oops. For some reason I had FJ60 on the brain.

Wait, FJ60s have a cabin air filter?

Doing more research. This part attaches to front heater blower assembly, # 87130-60320. Possibly a heater foam filter? I will try to post some pictures soon.

guessing cabin air filter. I mean, they became the model of offroad luxury in there somewhere. I'm waiting for photos too as you have my curiosity now.

Hmm, this makes me wonder if I'm suppose to have a cabin air filter but never had one? I gotta crawl under my dash and take a looksie.

I would suspect the 100s would have been the first to get cabin filters.

I thought about hacking one into my 3rd Gen 4R... I must say with one in the 5th Gen it's nice not to get that blast of sand in the face out of the AC after a NM wind storm.

From what I have determined 80 series did not have factory cabin air filter. I have used a shop Vac on this filter and got some of the dirt out of it. I think this is for AC recirculation setting and uses the heater blower assembly. working on posting pics from underneath my glove box, PS area.

Here's a few pictures of the filter that I'm talking about. Anybody with an 80 series, look and see if you have this filter assembly,
PS, up underneath the glove box.

PS,uunderne
IMG_E2697.JPG
IMG_E2699.JPG
IMG_E2700.JPG
IMG_E2703.JPG

Ahhh, I think that's more of a recirculation intake screen to keep big junk like leaves from entering the fan assembly. I'd guess about all you can do is vacuum it unless you disassemble the housing.

That's what I thought, also. and that's all I did. Until I see some procedure for this, I am calling it good. But I will check with Toyota parts an see if they can isolate it on their parts screen, if this filter is available.

Any other 80 owners have this same setup underneath their PS dash/ glove box area? I could not have found something on an 80 series that nobody else knows what it is??? Just fishing for some input.🎣

Ahhh, I think that's more of a recirculation intake screen to keep big junk like leaves from entering the fan assembly. I'd guess about all you can do is vacuum it unless you disassemble the housing.

The location of that filter is not filtering air from the outside, only from the inside. Hence my puzzlement as to why does Toyota want to filter the recirc air? The fresh air intake is directly coming from the windshield cowl area, which is directly on top of this area and NO filter is located there. Which is why we get so much dirt and crap through the fresh air intake and is quite annoying.

Check out the air path below, see the opening up top? Air comes down from top into this blower housing, then hangs a hard left into the HVAC system. I bet I have this filter too and totally forgot about it.

On second thought, I wonder if this filter is attached to a diverter flap dealio that swings down (to the left) and falls directly in the path of fresh air coming down from tom?

Damn you Jeff, now I gotta freeze my ass off and go investigate this issue :bang:

On third thought, looking at Jeff's pic up above, it doesn't appear to be a flap deal. The filter is simply attached to the external wall of the housing. Ok, I'm safe, I won't have to deal with this issue until Sat when I see Jeff.

1572532872662.png

Last edited:
Don't freeze your ass off ,wait til warmer. Have a look at my 80 on Sat. I have a hard time just getting into a position to just look at this area. Should not have stopped doing yoga .

Don't freeze your ass off ,wait til warmer. Have a look at my 80 on Sat. I have a hard time just getting into a position to just look at this area. Should not have stopped doing yoga .
Tip. To look under things like this put you phone in "selfie" mode and stick the phone down there.

Tip. To look under things like this put you phone in "selfie" mode and stick the phone down there.
Thanks. I kinda did that to get those pictures I posted. After 2 close up pictures of my hand , I figured it out.:oops:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom