What is the difference between a 3spd and the 4spd transmission (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the added benefits for having the 4 SPD over a 3spd? I currently have the 3spd in my 71, and I have a 4spd for it. Is it worth to put it in? Someone said 3rd and 4th are the same . Not quite sure I understand this? What is the benefit, any? 1st granny?
I have 33 x 12.50 tires.

Last edited:
1st gear is lower, at least that's my understanding.

High gear is the same ratio. Not sure about the other gear ratios.

What are the added benefits for having the 4 SPD over a 3spd? I currently have the 3spd in my 71, and I have a 4spd for it. Is it worth to put it in? SoMe one said 1st and 4th are the same . Not quite sure I understand this? Thanks

Depends on the four speed. SM420/SM465/H41 all have a lower first gear but normal driving use 2nd thru 4th gears. The H42 is a much friendlier pavement transmission. First gear has a syncro making down shifting easier. H41 does as well. Not sure about the two SM transmissions. All are 1 to 1 in fourth gear so no advantage over the three speed. The H42 with an Option or H42 with a split transfer case both offer lower gears for low range which would be a nice set for using on the pavement and off road if not doing any real rock crawling. Put a H42 in my 68 and really like it. Found first gear high range was really nice gear and primitive for service roads that aren't too rough.

I think a gear ratio chart for all of these transmissions is still available through Advance Adapters. Or better yet in your 3 speed chassis manual, and a 4 speed manual.

1st gear is lower, at least that's my understanding.

High gear is the same ratio. Not sure about the other gear ratios.

I assume you have never driven a three but familiar with the H42? The three speed is a good transmission to teach some how to drive a stick with. Once you master that particularly with a column shift everything else would seem easy. Even made shifting a FJ25 four speed fairly easy. Straight cut gears and no syncros in first or second gears.

If I take a pic of it can you tell what type of transmission it is? I have no idea. It came with the purchase of my landcruiser.

I think a gear ratio chart for all of these transmissions is still available through Advance Adapters. Or better yet in your 3 speed chassis manual, and a 4 speed manual.

Find gear ratios in the Haynes manual first page of the transmission transfer case section. Even shows the early four speed ratio used in the H45 4/72-9/73. Still not sure what was used in the FJ40 in the 73 model in markets that got a four speed in 73.

If I take a pic of it can you tell what type of transmission it is? I have no idea. It came with the purchase of my landcruiser.

Can't tell the difference between the H41 and H42 by looking at it. Only the H42 was imported to the US. Have to shift it into first gear and count how many times you rotate the input shaft to make the output shaft rotate once. Right around three and half would be the H42. Right around five times would be an H42. If it's either a SM420 or SM465 I wouldn't know but sure some here would know just my seeing a picture.

I drove my 1973 1F with the factory 3speed for many years. I found the non-synchro first gear to be a pain. 2nd gear was good for cruising around town and never really having to shift, but it had limits when trying to climb a hill on the highway as it was just a tad low and limited highway speed when you needed to shift down. It also throws you through the windshield if you need to shift down to use engine braking while coming off a pass. For off roading I found that 1st was just not low enough for every situation when in high, found I used low range alot and just ran up through the gears, 3rd in low is about what you get with 1st High.

The H42 4speed is a great transmission for road use and light wheeling. I have an FJ60, same trans and gear ratios as the 40 4speeds. I have heard others say it is one of the best geared 4speeds around, and it is. 1st is a tad lower than the 3 speed, helps with everything you may need 1st for, 2nd and 3rd are a beautiful split, going on up to 4th. A downshift to 3rd will still allow you to run 50MPH+ at comfortable RPMs down the highway, and does a nice job coming down a hill too. Only problem is Toyota put a slightly higher low range in the transfer case, so the overall benefit in low range is not as great.

I put an H41 in my FJ40 a few years ago. Coupled with the slightly lower low range of the 3speed transfer case, and the stock 4:11 diffs I have amazing control offroading now. It just crawls so nicely now, whereas with the 3speed I had to really anticipate steep inclines, make sure I approached a long hill in 1st, cause trying to grab the downshift in time caused me some really scary situations through the years. That is where the benefits stop. While the H41 is basically the same 4speed as the H42, 1st is obviously lower, but so is 2nd and 3rd. I didn't think it would be a big deal, but needing to drop down to 3rd on the highway for a hill, which is common with a 1F, finds me screaming at 3500+ RPM to hold 50-55MPH. In most cases that is not a real problem, but with modern traffic, sometimes you have force it. Also around town 1st is good for all of halfway through the intersection and then you are really wanting to go to 2nd. With slightly larger tires I find I pretty much always start in 1st still with the 1F. I think a 2F would pull 2nd from a stop better. I find I do alot more shifting up through the gears than I do in my 60. Where 3rd is comfortable around town and down the block, the added revs and noise of a 40 I find myself getting up to 4th quickly, but then you are a little luggy at times.

If I did it again, the H42 would be a much more comfortable swap in my 40 for daily driving and regular use, but I do like the lower 1st for offroading. I find it does not limit the FJ60 as much, as the late 2F seems to have good power even down low, and will chug along even under less than ideal situations concerning terrain, and ground speed and needed throttle. The 1F is just a little weak at times, at least mine is. The lower 1st made it really nice offroad in rough conditions. But the lower 1st of the H42 would have been almost as nice, and I think I would have preferred the higher 3rd gear for sure. Also the synchronized 1st is worth it no matter what you do, I never got the hang of double clutching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom