what is the best way to go through the firewall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to run a CB cable from the front of my ARB bumper to the cab. What is the best way to get it through fire wall??
thanks??

What I have done when wiring through the firewall is to route cables to the driver side fire wall, where there is a cable pass through with a rubber grommet. Using a stiff wire (coat hanger, brazing rod or similar) I pull the wire through there. This gets it to the back of the dash on the driver's side - way back in the corner. From there you can route it wherever you want.

M

hummm, may not have enough cable, but i will try. Isnt there another rubber grommet on the passenger side too??

Yes, there is another grommet on the passenger's side. you can see it from inside the engine compartment. Inside the passenger compartment, it's difficult to see because there's stuff in front of it (heater or A/C maybe). Your radio antenna cable goes through the passenger side grommet.

Cool, i saw the passenger grommet, now, i am taking it that i need to cut into the grommet in order to get it to fit through???
cheers..

Don't cut it unless you must. Try pushing the wire through from the passenger compartment side, bend a U in it, and fasten the end of the cable to it and duct tape it. Then PULL it through. Usually works OK.

M

I have a pair of hemostats that are about 12inchs long--they are like long thin needle nose pliers. I've used these from the ending compartment side to open up the hole in the grommet enough to push a cable through.

Just saw this thread. I just got finished running my CB cable through the passenger side rubber, using the factory antenna cable to pull. I'm addicted to sirius satellite, so i dont' need am/fm. I mounted my 4' firefly where the factory antenna went----took a lot of futzing to get a good ground, but I finally got SWR readings of 1.2 to 2! :grinpimp:

I've finally arrived as a redneck--my first CB! ;)

2mbb said:
I have a pair of hemostats that are about 12inchs long--they are like long thin needle nose pliers. I've used these from the ending compartment side to open up the hole in the grommet enough to push a cable through.
dood, that just gave me an idea - i can use my c-clip pliers.... :idea:

I've found those grommets crammed with wires and didn't feel there was room to fit the CB cable PLUG through.
What's the trick to fit it through?
:cool:

One trick for threading wires through these gromments is to use a piece of brass (or similar) tubing. The tubing is stiff enough to work through the gromment, then you just slip the wire through the tubing. Very easy.

lovetoski said:
One trick for threading wires through these gromments is to use a piece of brass (or similar) tubing. The tubing is stiff enough to work through the gromment, then you just slip the wire through the tubing. Very easy.
wires would be easy to do that with, but a CB cable has a connector on the end that is the size of a nickel.

I would remove the connector and re-solder it when you're done. Coax is stiff enough that it should push through the grommet just fine. As an added bonus, by re-soldering the connection, you'll end up with a better joint at the connector. :)

polarweasel said:
I would remove the connector and re-solder it when you're done. Coax is stiff enough that it should push through the grommet just fine. As an added bonus, by re-soldering the connection, you'll end up with a better joint at the connector. :)
hummm, seems like more work than i want to do with this thing. Besides, i dont have a solder gun :D

Simple in my case--the Firestick coax came bare (no connector) on the radio end, so I ran it first, then threaded/soldered the connector on. I ran it by overlapping it w/ the original cable end, wrapping overlapping electrical tape over the joint, and then pulling. Undo the tape and solder on the connector.

Russ, in my case the grommet was soft enough that pushing and pulling did the trick--just forced it through.

Well, it is done. I took my c-clip pliers and pryed open the grommet....BINGO!!!!

Took about 4 minutes to run the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom