What is the best way to get some really stubborn surface rust off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

does it matter if it's just distilled vinegar, or white vinegar?
Whatever my wife has on hand it’s the acidity that does the trick. I have used phosphoric acid from Home Depot as well, but if not removed right away it’s a problem (like muratic acid). This can be an issue in hard to reach places and PPE becomes a lot more important which is why I switched to vinegar.

Looks like it’s distilled and white:

B41C3ACB-8301-4BD6-975D-593AC65E1B85.jpeg

Same as above, anything to hand.
I've used red wine vinegar, malted vinegar, house cleaning distilled vinegar, all work well

Sorry if I'm getting boring...
Question:
Chemical treatment or mechanical removing rust?
also if converted and coated/painted rust will peels over time ?
Just interesting if rust converter increase adhesion of epoxy..

From College of Engineering, China (MDPI peer-reviewed, open access journals)

Influence of Phosphoric Acid on the Adhesion Strength between Rusted Steel and Epoxy Coating​

Key Summary:
The adhesion test result showed that the adhesion strength between the rust and the epoxy coating was enhanced from 1.93 MPa to 11.63 MPa with the treatment by 50 g/L phosphoric acid in conjunction with a tannic converter formula.

this is original article:

I am a fan of rust converters but you first need to make sure any even remotely loose material is removed. I use Corroseal. I don't consider myself an expert in this area though; just to be clear.

I use these or similar discs/ wheels for removing rust. They will eat rust out of the metal but not remove any steel. I find them to be very good on smaller or localized areas .

81qKCNMPJHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom