1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the 1HD-FTE on rough 3rd world fuel?

Discussion in 'Diesel Tech / 24 volts' started by jvoelcker, Aug 23, 2006.

1. jvoelcker

jvoelcker

Hi,

I'm just wondering what people's experiences are of running their
    diesel 100 series on rough old fuel as found in the 3rd world countries
    or dodgey outback suppliers?

OK, I appreciate that if you are going to those sorts of areas it is
    worth making sure you have some decent filters installed, however once
    it has gone past the filters how does the fuel system cope with varying
    levels of fuel quality as opposed to the way a 1HD-FT would cope?

2. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    I doubt it will stop running ,just blow more smoke and lose power.
    I suppose that extended running on low quality fuel will mean the injectors will need changing sooner.

Im not sure what they do to fuel in African countries but years ago in Australia some small fuel retailers were caught mixing heating oil in with diesel fuel.
    The tax on heating oil was much less than the tax on diesel.

I would be checking the water sedifier daily;)

3. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Here In Panamá no problem al tall with FT's .. we have a decent diesel .. but never think in the " no RUN " option .. is a Toyota engine, remember .. :D

4. jvoelcker

jvoelcker

That's useful to know - just debating whether to upgrade my 12valve 80 to a 24 valve or jump up to the 100 series with the 1HD-FTE.

With a 1HD-FTE I would fit some decent filters up front as standard to keep the crap out, but am interested to know how the electronic injection system copes with varying fuel quality.

I have heard that some electronic injection systems can close down if they don't think the fuel is up to standard.

5. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    The electronics are more likely to suffer from dust and moisture which will stop the vehicle.
    I would stick to a diesel with minimal electronics above all else.

6. jvoelcker

jvoelcker

G'day,

I know that's the perceived wisdom for overlanding style trips however I suspect it is primarily based on experiences of electronics in things like Landrovers. I've regularly hear stories to back this up, but never do they mention the word Toyota.

I have been monitoring various lists covering 80s, 100s, 120s across the world for a few years now and don't recall ever reading about someone having show stopping problems with the electronics in the cars.

Even on the Aussie lists I never notice any talk of problems with the 100s and 120s that they are regularly taking out for extensive trips out into Aussie nether regions.

What experience do you have of dust and moisture causing problems with the electronics in modern diesel Land Cruisers?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  7. roscoFJ73

roscoFJ73

Media:
    Albums:
    Not a lot ,mainly they limp home in safe mode.
    Of course , in outback Australia if there is a mechanic available ,he will know landcruisers.
    Probably wont be the same in Africa if that is where your heading.

I remember reading that about %90 of the "tow homes" from central Australia were dust and moisture related from newer models but it did not break down the various models.
    They just said it cost an average of $7000 per vehicle and the same for the trailer:D

8. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Here in Panamá we have a lots of Diesels .. Toyota, Nissan, Kia, Ford, Dodge, BMW, Mercedez, Scoda etc etc etc ..

The only issues thta I know with local diesel comes from Kia Sorento, and BMW cdri 330 diesel ( turbo ).

One time I remember when Jeep are launching here the CDRI Liberty, one Technician from GM talk about the water and humidity that we have in our diesel here ..

This issue make more smoky ( steam ) diesel engines here ..

In fact the 1HD-FTE engine that comes in the 100 series, by far more " smoky " than 1HD- T and 1HD-FT engines ..

9. jvoelcker

jvoelcker

Hi,

Fortunately I know enough to be able to track and fix most problems, except for actual dead ECUs that can't be fixed with a soldering iron.

I work on the basis that you are just as likely to blow an engine or gearbox as you are to blow an ECU - with any of those whether in the Aussie bush or African svelt you are up the swannie.

I would run with a couple of centrifugal fuel filters to seperate out the crap and the water to protect the fuel pump but am wondering if there are any sensors other than the standard air mass meters and exhaust gas probes on the 1HD-FTEs that are likely to detect fuel problems.

I guess it's a bit like running Biodiesel, most modern diesels can run with it, but every so often you come across an engine management system that is too clever by half and just doesn't recognise the fuel or the exhaust gases and just shuts down.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">