What is that Groaning sound..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
.......when I turn the steering wheel, first thing in the morning?

I'm betting PS pump going out........does it all day long, even after it's warmed up.....and most noticeably when turning. Checked the fluid, and it's OK.

Belt's fine.

Any further diagnosis necessary?

Thanks.

Also......a public thanks to Beno....he knows why. :)

PS pump. Might be going out. Might be air in there somewhere. Might need more fluid. Might need a bit of Downey liquid.

:D

unfortunately, I've lived with this for a while.

What's odd is that both of you guys have LX450s. Maybe it's supposed to make that whiny/groan noise. If you record it and slow it down it probably says "Lexus is worth an extra 10k".

Sounds like your PS pump may be going out. Mine does that but only after the PS fluid level drops.

Mine has started groaning on hard left turns. I think I am going to use it as another reason I NEED hydro assist.:D

I had a bad groan last week. Turns out that there was a small leak on the low side of the sytem. I replaced some hoses that I used for attaching a auxillary cooler and once the air was purged everthing is back to normal.

You can have a hole on the low side that will venturi air into the system but not leak out fluid. Check the stock cooler where the tubes bend up from under the radiator for rust and a possible problem.

Hi ya Kit! It's been a long time since I've seen you post here.

How did the 80 come out from the hurricanes? Sorry to hear about your home and I hope you're doing OK.

:cheers:

-B-

Hey there, B! the 80 did fine, as expected. Long story short: wet carpet = totalled vehicle = buy-back and pocket obscene insurance payment. :)

We're doing well, and using the obscene payment, above, to try to get the guest house fixed....maybe can get inot it and out of ther FEMA trailer in 6 weeks. Main house is another story.....will probably be at least a year before we can rebuild. Need to send you a pic of that switch you inspired and it's brand new location!

It WAS the PS pump, by the way....easy replacement, even for me.

I've had a similar problem with the steering groan/steering wheel shake. Good to hear you got it resolved but for others who might have the problem...

I took a look around and noticed two tie rod bushings were busted on my '96 FZJ80 with 127k miles. I did a quick fix for now by throwing some grease on it but has anybody else had this happen and is this an available OEM part?

bkgiii said:
.......when I turn the steering wheel, first thing in the morning?

I'm betting PS pump going out........does it all day long, even after it's warmed up.....and most noticeably when turning. Checked the fluid, and it's OK.

Belt's fine.

Any further diagnosis necessary?

Thanks.

Also......a public thanks to Beno....he knows why. :)

Hope they worked out ok Kit.

If you need anything else, let me know. I'll see what I can do from my end.

Oh yeah--the co. hat has become the running hat in prep for the Cleveland Maration. Thanks!!

Cheers.
-onur
Akron, OH

slick621 said:
I took a look around and noticed two tie rod bushings were busted on my '96 FZJ80 with 127k miles. I did a quick fix for now by throwing some grease on it but has anybody else had this happen and is this an available OEM part?

You can buy the TR ends and unscrew the ones you have in there and replace with new OEM ones.

You can also go with a number of aftermarkets from Christo, Steve-O, and I believe Marlin too.

Get a good pickle fork for this job...those TRE's are usually really rusted on there.

Cheers.
-onur
Akron, OH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom