What is spindle oil, in relation to Fuel Injector o-rings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changing my fuel injector o-rings today and the FSM says to use gasoline or spindle oil to lube the o-rings.
I'll use gasoline, because it's available and easy... But what is this spindle oil Mr. T speaks of? You know for future reference.

Obviously Googling "spindle oil" just comes back with machine tool spindle oil.

This the toyota reference,
1662320485937.png

ISO 10 & 22

Spindle Oil is anti-wear oil that is formulated for use in the lubrication of high-speed spindle bearings in precision grinders and other machine tools that require the use of low viscosity oils. It can be applied by misting, drop feed, force-feed and wick feed, hand oiling or by the use of circulation systems. Spindle Oil is blended from the finest high viscosity index, solvent refined, severely hydrofinised, 100% paraffin oils available. Further blended into Spindle Oil is our proprietary anti-wear additive, Micron Moly®, which allows the oil to reduce friction and heat between moving parts.

So your search returned the same thing, machine tool spindle oil.
For some reason I'm thinking that's not the same stuff.
Knuckle Bearing Spindles don't rotate but only, what, 50 Degrees? And certainly not at high speed.
Was there a sealed knuckle that took oil instead of grease at one time?
Seems like that would be a PITA to keep sealed.

Maybe the super refined machine tool spindle lube is what means. F if I know.

So your search returned the same thing, machine tool spindle oil.
For some reason I'm thinking that's not the same stuff.
Knuckle Bearing Spindles don't rotate but only, what, 50 Degrees? And certainly not at high speed.
Was there a sealed knuckle that took oil instead of grease at one time?
Seems like that would be a PITA to keep sealed.

Maybe the super refined machine tool spindle lube is what means. F if I know.
It's kind of a loose term. spindle oil in the context of the fuel injector orings is referring to a light mineral oil used to lubricate the spindle bearings in machine tools. Not the spindle on a toyota knuckle. As you say, the bearing inside a toyota spindle just gets regular birf grease.

I just did this, twice. The first time, five of six went in perfectly. #5 decided not to play well. The fuel was pouring out of the top of the injector when the pump was running.

The bottom of the hole in the fuel rail isn't deburred and you can push the injector in too far; the sharp section of the fuel passage will cut the O-ring. When I reinstalled a new O-ring, I dipped in in gasoline so it wouldn't roll (twist) when I put it on, and pushed the injector in halfway. Then I rotated it, just to make sure it wasn't twisted, and lightly pushed it in place. The fuel rail mounting bolts and plastic spacers set the insertion depth. I'm pretty sure the O-ring seals on the OD and not the top anyway. I can't see that the larger middle seal does anything except exclude dust; it certainly won't keep fuel in (mine didn't).

Yes, the grommet sets the seal depth.
So I could have used my Briggy's spindle oil. Well, maybe next time.
The gasoline worked as expected and the rig doesn't smell like gas anymore.

Kidding aside, I used the grease on my nose and it worked perfectly. Light oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom